1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ten days later!!!

Discussion in 'Husbandry / Breeding' started by Ade205, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ade205

Ade205 New Member

Hi all.

Well, here we go again! My last thread entitled ''NEWBIE FIRST SPAWN... LIGHTING QUESTION AFTER DISASTER!'' explains what happened recently after my first apisto spawn, didn't go great!

Now, just ten days later after losing last fry this is the new batch

Much larger numbers this time and im more prepared... bbs ready to go, 24 lighting after Mike's advice, so let's see if can rear some!
    Tlindsey and Mbkemp like this.
  2. Apsnake

Apsnake Member

I had a similar problem recently lights went out lost over 75% by morning so I might try the night light as mentione by mike! Hopefully we shall both have more luck second time round
    Ade205 likes this.
  3. Ade205

Ade205 New Member

Apsnake, im definately off to a better start this time though have to admit my attempted night light isn't far off the same brightness as the normal talk lights! Nearly 48 hours since this batch appeared though and still at least 40 fry surviving, so fingers crossed!

Good luck with yours and post any updates!
  4. Apsnake

Apsnake Member

Even If the light is very bright it's not a permanent lighting solution just to retain your first spawns! Once you have a network of apistogramma to work with its much easier to breed them! But until that first spawn are adults that will be your contributing factor! As I say though I wish you all the best with breeding it can be a painful experience! Apsnake
    Tlindsey likes this.
  5. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

I use a true night light, one of those 3W incandescent bulbs people keep in their kids bedroom at night. The light only needs to be bright enough so that the female can still see and gather her fry together for the night. I have a small north-facing window in my fishroom so I don't have to worry about a nightlight during the summer. The sun rises before the lights turn on and set only after the lights turn off. This is probably why I'm more successful breeding tetras during the summer. Most spawn at the first light of dawn or the last light of dusk.
    Tlindsey and Ade205 like this.
  6. Apsnake

Apsnake Member

Dude I swear your the most interesting person, your comments on this site are truly informative! And it's strange I stumbled on this and you've clarified it for me. I recently saw my female absolutely freak out when I switched the light out. She was guarding fry but as soon as the light went she started doing laps of the tank and swimming in erratic small bursts and turning around a lot between them. Almost as though she was looking for her fry. I only spotted this because of my phone light and she was with fry at the front glass but makes more sense now. I always figured fish would see in the dark well!
    Tlindsey, Ade205 and Mbkemp like this.
  7. Ade205

Ade205 New Member

Hi all... just a quick update on latest batch!

Alls going well, though numbers hv dwindled a little. Most I've counted in last 2 days is 23 fry remaining. Their 11 days old now and are growing fast.

Only predation I've witnessed is from Dad... definately eaten a few and is playing no part in parental care, though the female allows him closer than any other tank mates which is when he strikes!

Overall looking very good for a decent survival rates in a tank that has a fair few potential predators.

For anyone interested tank is a 3ft bow front with following inhabitants....
    6 dwarf rainbows, 6 Harlequins, 5 false julii Cory's, 2 ottos, and of corse a pair of Cacatuoides double reds.

Will update survival rates again soon.
    Mbkemp and Tlindsey like this.
  8. Tlindsey

Tlindsey New Member

Congrats! This is great.:)