• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ten days later!!!

Ade205

Hi all.

Well, here we go again! My last thread entitled ''NEWBIE FIRST SPAWN... LIGHTING QUESTION AFTER DISASTER!'' explains what happened recently after my first apisto spawn, didn't go great!

Now, just ten days later after losing last fry this is the new batch
Much larger numbers this time and im more prepared... bbs ready to go, 24 lighting after Mike's advice, so let's see if can rear some!

Apsnake

Hi all.

Well, here we go again! My last thread entitled ''NEWBIE FIRST SPAWN... LIGHTING QUESTION AFTER DISASTER!'' explains what happened recently after my first apisto spawn, didn't go great!

Now, just ten days later after losing last fry this is the new batch
Much larger numbers this time and im more prepared... bbs ready to go, 24 lighting after Mike's advice, so let's see if can rear some!
I had a similar problem recently lights went out lost over 75% by morning so I might try the night light as mentione by mike! Hopefully we shall both have more luck second time round

Ade205

Apsnake, im definately off to a better start this time though have to admit my attempted night light isn't far off the same brightness as the normal talk lights! Nearly 48 hours since this batch appeared though and still at least 40 fry surviving, so fingers crossed!

Good luck with yours and post any updates!

Apsnake

Apsnake, im definately off to a better start this time though have to admit my attempted night light isn't far off the same brightness as the normal talk lights! Nearly 48 hours since this batch appeared though and still at least 40 fry surviving, so fingers crossed!

Good luck with yours and post any updates!
Even If the light is very bright it's not a permanent lighting solution just to retain your first spawns! Once you have a network of apistogramma to work with its much easier to breed them! But until that first spawn are adults that will be your contributing factor! As I say though I wish you all the best with breeding it can be a painful experience! Apsnake

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use a true night light, one of those 3W incandescent bulbs people keep in their kids bedroom at night. The light only needs to be bright enough so that the female can still see and gather her fry together for the night. I have a small north-facing window in my fishroom so I don't have to worry about a nightlight during the summer. The sun rises before the lights turn on and set only after the lights turn off. This is probably why I'm more successful breeding tetras during the summer. Most spawn at the first light of dawn or the last light of dusk.

Apsnake

I use a true night light, one of those 3W incandescent bulbs people keep in their kids bedroom at night. The light only needs to be bright enough so that the female can still see and gather her fry together for the night. I have a small north-facing window in my fishroom so I don't have to worry about a nightlight during the summer. The sun rises before the lights turn on and set only after the lights turn off. This is probably why I'm more successful breeding tetras during the summer. Most spawn at the first light of dawn or the last light of dusk.
Dude I swear your the most interesting person, your comments on this site are truly informative! And it's strange I stumbled on this and you've clarified it for me. I recently saw my female absolutely freak out when I switched the light out. She was guarding fry but as soon as the light went she started doing laps of the tank and swimming in erratic small bursts and turning around a lot between them. Almost as though she was looking for her fry. I only spotted this because of my phone light and she was with fry at the front glass but makes more sense now. I always figured fish would see in the dark well!

Ade205

Hi all... just a quick update on latest batch!

Alls going well, though numbers hv dwindled a little. Most I've counted in last 2 days is 23 fry remaining. Their 11 days old now and are growing fast.
Only predation I've witnessed is from Dad... definately eaten a few and is playing no part in parental care, though the female allows him closer than any other tank mates which is when he strikes!

Overall looking very good for a decent survival rates in a tank that has a fair few potential predators.

For anyone interested tank is a 3ft bow front with following inhabitants....
6 dwarf rainbows, 6 Harlequins, 5 false julii Cory's, 2 ottos, and of corse a pair of Cacatuoides double reds.

Will update survival rates again soon.

Tlindsey

Hi all... just a quick update on latest batch!

Alls going well, though numbers hv dwindled a little. Most I've counted in last 2 days is 23 fry remaining. Their 11 days old now and are growing fast.
Only predation I've witnessed is from Dad... definately eaten a few and is playing no part in parental care, though the female allows him closer than any other tank mates which is when he strikes!

Overall looking very good for a decent survival rates in a tank that has a fair few potential predators.

For anyone interested tank is a 3ft bow front with following inhabitants....
6 dwarf rainbows, 6 Harlequins, 5 false julii Cory's, 2 ottos, and of corse a pair of Cacatuoides double reds.

Will update survival rates again soon.

Congrats! This is great.:)

Ade205

Thanks Tlindsey ☺

Quick update... Fry are 3 weeks old now and doing great. Still around 20 ish surviving, not many mouths in tank they will fit in now!
Check out the early cave starter, just popping out far enough to pick off a bbs or two!! and what looks like some early aggression between fry near end of vid.
Been no other issues really, Dad has picked a few off but not witnessed anyone else manage to do so.
The fry are getting way more independent and mum is nowhere near as protective now, almost as if she knows their nearly big enough not to be eaten now!

Last edited:

Ade205

Hi again... another update for anyone interested!

Fry are doing very well, now nearly 6 wks old and pretty much able to do and go as they please in their tank! Growth has been steady, and can already see some red and yellow in their fins on a few of them.

Sadly Dad died a few days ago, was no sign of aggression from mum so reason is unknown. Was sad, had him a fair while and he's first casualty I've had in this tank for ages, but hopefully his last batch of fry will go on and do him proud!

Mum shows no interest in fry at all now, either parental or aggression.

Realising I've made a huge mistake in letting them spawn in a community tank, I've now got the task of getting them out, should be interesting! But looking forward to it as I've relaxed maintained since fry arrived.... maintained normal water changes but not much vacuuming or scraping!
That's it really, will update sex ratios but otherwise just about done... plan to only try and raise fry in dedicated breeding tanks from now on, will update on my results!

Ade.

Ade205

Oh, and on one final note.... if anyone finds it odd I've the sole cardinal in the tank, the reason is he had an unfortunate encounter with Jeff, my half Discus, half piranha tetra killing machine! Lost almost all of his caudal find, but could somehow still swim and propel himself! Tail has grown back completly now so he's got a second chance!
20171119_063356.jpg
On Jeff, he's the most anti social Discus I've ever known! Acquired him for free many years ago from someone breaking down a tank. I didn't want him as peppered very badly, but grew to love his personality! He then went on to bully every group of Discus I've put him with and attacked countless tetras! Cost me a fortune in cardinals, though found Rummys survive best with him! He seems to have zero issues with apistos though, but goes for keyholes every chance he gets!!!!

Last edited:

Ade205

Buttnekkid.... lol Jeff definately has a drink problem! I've seriously never known a Discus behave like he does with other Discus! Was hoping in his old age he'd calm down but seems to be just getting more irritable and grumpy!
I'm currently in the process of setting up a new Discus tank in my living room and planning 8 to 10 discus for this tank...once I've got the fish and grown them on I mite just try one last time to get Jeff back with his own kind but if fails, he will once again be back in with his dwarf American Cichlid pals!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….