• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tankmates for A. Baenschi Pair

warbyd

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest another Apistogramma species to share a 30G tank with my wife's pair of A. Baenschi? I bought them for her when they were all of ~1.5cm long and they've grown into a very handsome pair of fish, but the mrs would like something else to share the tank..

At present there is the 2 baenschi, 5 neon tetras, 1 small bristlenose and 3 syno. ocellifer (which will be traded in when they get a little bigger... mrs bought them without asking and didn't realise they grow to well over a foot and would enjoy an expensive apisto snack to go with the few neons they ate in their first week haha). She would ideally like another pair of Apisto's (there is plenty of cover and caves) so if people could suggest something suitable that would be fantastic :)

Cheers,

Dave

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
One of my favorite species of Apistogramma; they are just so beautiful! IMHO However, the A. baenschi are by far the meanest, most aggresive species I've worked with. The females especially will go on wild rampages. I've also seen this species jointly work as a bonded pair to relentlessly hunt and together attack unwelcome interlopers. At least your 30g is big enough that your male may safely keep away from the female's fury when they spawn.

I am saying this to emphasis that I would definately not add any other dwarf cichlids into their tank.

warbyd

5 Year Member
Haha they are that bad are they? Damn, oh well :) Cheers for the info heh

Like you say they are beautiful fish, I haven't seen any aggression yet from either party but also no signs of spawning yet since they're still quite young.. The male has started chasing the female around a little bit though so *fingers crossed* ey

Any suggestions for another fish, preferably something with a good bit of colour and/or personality, that could be added to the tank? Something for the mid-upper levels would be good.. I personally wouldn't mind just throwing in another dozen neons and calling it quits but the mrs is worried they'll end up as cat food like some of the others :)

-Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….