• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank mates with ultra chilled Cacatuoides?

Miss ATV

Hi there,

I was wondering if you can please advise me regarding what I could possibly keep in a 64L tank with one male and female Apistogramma Cacatuoides.

Currently they are living with 6 Penguin tetras which have become massive from gorging on all the food and too boisterous and nippy. I can see at feeding times the Apistos getting stressed by the speed of the tetras. Due to this I've served eviction notice to the tetras and they are returning to the shop where I bought them from. These tetras were recommended to me as very peaceful community fish and they haven't been at all and now I am unsure what to get instead as some top/middle dither fish that are not tetras?

My two apistos are very slow and chilled, I don't see much territoriality except the male occasionally sending the female off but no chasing and no drama. They never even looked towards the tetras. I am not planning to breed them but I guess it could happen even if I don't plan to so just to be safe I would not look at any cat fish or cave dwellers. Strictly middle/top fish is there anything other than tetras that any of you had experience in the past to cohabitate peacefully with dwarf cichlids?

I apologize if this question has been asked a million times but my own experience is only with tetras/catfish/dwarf puffers so not sure what would work and reading online gives me just mixed answers sometimes contradictory (eg. Penguin tetras "peaceful")

Thank you!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, this question has been asked a million times and the answer usually comes back: pencilfish. Please realize that your cacatuoides will consider this smallish tank their breeding territory - and a breeding tank is a very bad community tank for all (and you) concerned. Since pencilfish (except N. beckfordi) are not considered potential fry predators, the apistos will normally ignore them.

Miss ATV

Okay, thanks Mike that's great. I had a quick look at the shop I usually get my fish from and they have N. Marginatus so I'll give them a try once the current tenants are out.

Miss ATV

Yes, this question has been asked a million times and the answer usually comes back: pencilfish. Please realize that your cacatuoides will consider this smallish tank their breeding territory - and a breeding tank is a very bad community tank for all (and you) concerned. Since pencilfish (except N. beckfordi) are not considered potential fry predators, the apistos will normally ignore them.

Erm Mike can I ask you one more question re this? I spoke too soon as I just finished a water change and saw the male and female getting all frisky for the first time ever. So I think there are big chances they will breed. In this case is fine if I remove the tetras and not add anything back for now?

Miss ATV

That would be best, but don't be surprised if the disturbance caused by catching the tetras causes the female to eat the eggs.

Today the female has been extremely flirty and plump and kept luring the male towards head shaped ornament which I assume she chosen as a spawning cave. Dont know whats happening cause they've been both in and out of that head and now she's in it guarding it. I got the tetras out a few hrs ago and I think luckily right before she spawned. When I was netting the tetras she was after the male all yellow and turning with her belly sideways

So I think the moment I got the others out and taken them to the store she's found her perfect time to do the deeds as she's not so plump anymore. So yeah, they have the tank to themselves for a while although if they actually raise fry I have no idea where am I going to put them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….