• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

taeniatus nigerian yellow(or what ever!!)

killiguy

I was sent these by one of our wholesalers to breed under the name Taeniatus Nigerian yellow from Germany
Male has a red gill plate making him not a Nigerian yellow,so I gather.They are pretty with big ocelli,but I assume they are an aquarium developed hybrid
Unfortunately they will be sold as the above for about $100.00 a pair AARRHH.
Ive already told the wholesaler his A.juruensis are sp.black chin.He's probably getting sick of me

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yup... lots of genes in that fish. It is not a pure Nigerian form. The ocelli of Nigeriam fish extend to the edge of the fish. Cameroon fish do not, the the lower half of the tail is consistent with Nigerian forms.

killiguy

Thanks Ted.Is there some not to complex system for identifying the main taeniatus localities??It seems even more messy than Apistos
I would have been really cheesed off if I had paid alot of many for a pedigree taeniatus and got this mongrel

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes... the best way is comparing males:

Nigerinan forms (what will most likely stay P. taeniatus in the revision).... large upper caudal ocelli that are incomplete and run to the edge of the fin, lower half of caudal edged in yellow and black bands, body color primarily grey/tan with little yellow, anal fin generally clear blue

Wouri (Cameroon)... body color white/tan/grey, upper edge of caudal fin a band of black edged in white or sometimes two or three spots that look like they are trying to be a band.

Northern Cameroon (Moliwe)... Upper caudal clear yellow with several small black spots that are not surrounded by a yellow halo

Central Cameroon (Dehane, Kienke, Lokoundje, Bipindi, Makoure and a few others)... Large ocelli on upper caudal that are few in number and surrounded by yellow - orange halos

Southern Cameroon (Lobe, Nyete and a couple others)... No ocelli or spots in caudal fin which is edged in red on upper half.

All Cameroon varieties except Wouri have a lot of yellow in the body color and have red markings in their unpaired fins.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….