• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sudden fin deterioration

natczer

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

Just looking for advice. Have a tank with a trio of viejitas. The fins on one of the females seemed to disappear overnight. She was sitting at the top of the tank, barely breathing...looking like she was on the way out. I dosed the tank with melafix (without much hope). Today she is looking better, swimming around a little and eating. Any other suggestions? Haven't had something come on this quickly before.

Natalie

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Lots of water changes... Sounds like you had an ammonia or nitrite surge. Fin rot (the bacterial infection) will rarely wipe fins overnight, but ammonia/nitrite will. The gasping at the surface is also indicative.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sounds like 1 or more fish might be beating on the damaged fish. If it has no territory, the top of the tank is usually where subdominant fish end up.

natczer

5 Year Member
re

Thanks...
Will do water changes and keep dosing.
Hmm...I do do frequent water changes. Is it odd that it would affect one fish not others is it was ammonia/nitrite problem?

Natalie

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Depends upon the types of fish. Some fish are more susceptible to lower levels of ammonia/nitrite than others.

natczer

5 Year Member
re

Okay, things seem to have settled in my tank. The male wasn't affected at all...The female pretty much has no tail left, but she's swimming easily and eating well. Have been doing water changes and just treating with melafix...She has a fuzzy fungus-like substance on her tail stump...any ideas?

mervin

5 Year Member
could be infection due to her tail loss or perhaps fungus ???

think u should perhaps use something stronger then Melafix.

natczer

5 Year Member
re

That's what I was thinking...infection...I don't think it's fungus. What would you suggest...I live in Aus. so not sure about the availability of all medications. I obviously want to encourage fin growth.

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Fungus disease are much more slow growing that what you experienced. It takes weeks, if not months, for them to be visible and make damages. IMO, it's a bacterial disease and treating with Melafix was the right thing to do...

To prevent it to come back again, make sure you have enought water movement, specially on the water surface... Check your water change routine, etc etc. Bactérial diseases often = bad tank condition/oxygen level.

Phil

fishgeek

flexi/flavi bacteria whichever name they use now
or columnaris
it is a bacterial disease responsible for mouth fungus(go figure!) and fin rot that you are experiencing

it is simple to treat as like fungal infections it is often secondary to intial fin damage
get a general antibacterial, melafix does have some antiseptic properties
i tend to use esha products if they are available to you

andrew

oh also gradual temp decrease and slight salinity increase will aid in ridding bacterial infection

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….