• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto cacatuoides

Apistog6

Had my first female lay eggs in a rock cave . Ive had mixed advice for looking after the fry once they hatch ! Her and the male are on defence control . Some tell me to change their tank but she goes crazy even if i lift the rock . What do i do ? I have another 3 carrying eggs . Want to be prepared .

Attachments

• IMG_3153.jpeg
    IMG_3153.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80

ApistoMamma

Leave her alone, she may eat them if you stress her out. I have one pair that are great parents. One pair I need to take the male out and another pair that would eat the eggs right before hatching. I removed the parents to a separate tank to let the fry hatch. They did great. I rehomed that female to a community tank . I suggest leaving them alone and observe how they do.

Attachments

• IMG20230716182914.jpg
    IMG20230716182914.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 71

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the size of the tank and how it is decorated. I don't move a male unless he really bothers the female or fry. I always keep the mother with the fry. Females communicate to their fry when it is safe and they can move about looking for food. Without their mother, fry tend to hug the bottom and not move or feed as much.

Apistog6

It really depends on the size of the tank and how it is decorated. I don't move a male unless he really bothers the female or fry. I always keep the mother with the fry. Females communicate to their fry when it is safe and they can move about looking for food. Without their mother, fry tend to hug the bottom and not move or feed as much.
IMG_3177.jpeg

Its 220L. The male moved out of the cave once she finished laying the eggs .

Apistog6

Moving the male probably was for the best if no other fish are in the tank. It appears rather open.
There are another 8 fish in there . Its a whole bunch of caves , java moss & amazon sword . Cant see much in the photo . Was hard to get a proper pic cos of the light reflection. I had other fish in there but i moved them to the other side . I have a divider in there which has a fine mesh over the top so the smaller fish dont get eaten on that side .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….