• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

substrate for apistos

edwliang

5 Year Member
hi guys. i have heard that if use fine sand as substrate, there will be toxic gas accumulated in the sand where there is no oxygen. They claimed that the sand would smell very bad. So how do you guys deal with that and prevent that happening.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
The anerobic gasses will only build up if you have sand at depths greater than one inch. You could also get malaysian trumpet snails to stir up the sand, thus preventing most of the sand from getting compacted. You can also use your gravel vac to stir the sand up a bit. Generally, though, the sand at depths less than one inch will do the trick.

edwliang

5 Year Member
The anerobic gasses will only build up if you have sand at depths greater than one inch. You could also get malaysian trumpet snails to stir up the sand, thus preventing most of the sand from getting compacted. You can also use your gravel vac to stir the sand up a bit. Generally, though, the sand at depths less than one inch will do the trick.
thanks a lot.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Regular play sand compacts the worst.
I have found that pool filter sand doesn't compact so much because it is lighter and I can have deeper sand beds.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I'm afraid that the sand would eventually work its way into the gravel, and then you would have a nice mixture of gravel and sand.

Cooder

What about using gravel for the first inch (or more) and capping with 0.5-1" of sand?

Dont do it, it turns out crap in the end, a yucky mix that is a major hassle to deal with when you want to seperate them... just dont do it. tried it with aquasoil underneat for the plants and play sand on top... i wouldnt do it again

edwliang

5 Year Member
i have a sand bed deeper than 2 inch in my Tanganyikan tank and it is fine, no smell or gasses disturbed.

I like to use ada aquasoil for my apisto tanks.
i only see asian people use ADA aqua soil to keep Apistos. however, soil is useful to keep both PH and hardness down. and it will make a huge contrast in colour since soil is black.

limchongyu

5 Year Member
ADA aquasoil really makes keeping and breeding these apistos easier. For species that require lower ph get the Africana instead of the Amazonia.

cichlidmac

Towards the bottom of this article it shows the ph lowering ability of each of the 4 ada substrates. Malaya is the highest followed by Africana then Amazonian 2 and Amazonia

Please note : These substrates contain ammonia to aid in cycling your new tank.

http://www.aquabotanic.com/?p=1110
Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

limchongyu

5 Year Member
'Africana' seems to break down at a similar rate to 'Amazonia'.

I didn't get it the other way round 'Africana' does keep the ph lower. Amazonia is much better for growing plants though. I personally have not tried the 'Malaya' as I find that the 'Africana' good enough with my tap water for breeding species like diplotaenia and elizabethae.

Yes do not add these to tanks with existing lifestock especially apistos I learnt the hard way when I topped up some substrate and killed a pair of elizabethaes.

Thanks for the nice link cichlidmac!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….