• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange situation between my Abacaxis 'couple'...

loirUh

5 Year Member
hi guys !
first of all I must say that what I speak here is something that makes me very confused. I have a very strange situation with a couple of apistogramma Abacaxis, something that I am ashamed to speak up, because I still think I'm crazy.
last year got a couple of Abacaxis, they had some unsuccessful postures and finally I managed to stay with 2 small fish one last fry.
I felt that the tank where they were did not met the conditions necessary for the reproduction and decided to put reproduction attempts aside for some time. I placed the couple in a communitary tank and during that time the female developed its size, color, and fins. She became an authentic male by its physical appearance.

Later (last week), taking advantage of having available a larger tank I decided to try the reproduction again, I noticed that my supposed couple fought too much and that they were physically alike. To test this I decided to also put in the same tank a small daughter from both os them, and both members of my alleged couple attempted to court the young female!
I read in some places that dominated males tend to disguise themselves as females, but did not read any reports of a sex change!
I do not want to sound crazy but this this to leave me intrigued and wanted to know if there are more reports of this kind of situations!
This is all really strange....

Some pics:
the couple in the ould tank
20130512_153137.jpg

the 'female'
20130512_153154.jpg

the 'female now'
20131013_224444.jpg

20131013_224715.jpg

call me crazy... but this is true :/

Thanks guys!

merlin

5 Year Member
2 of your pics above are .not showing.
Looking at the top pic Although one fish does not show the purple chin everything else looks male to me.

loirUh

5 Year Member
the one not showing purple chin spawned a few times and i have offsprings from one of those spawns... now it turned to a 'male form'

re-uploaded pic from the 'female-male like'
20131013_224641.jpg

loirUh

5 Year Member
I already did Mike... i found an old thread talking about this!

thanks

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

Just to let you know that my 'pseudo-female' specimen bred with its own daughter and i can now confirm 100% sure the sex change!

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hi mike,

The pseudo-female layed eggs a few times! The young female that now spawned is its daughter!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….