• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking question and Current tank set up

Blackwater

5 Year Member
i would like to start out by saying that, after only being a part of this wonderful sight, i have found more information than any other forum i belong to. i have been registered for 10 minuts, found out about Ketapanga leaves, took the advice of a forum member and purchased some from the recommended seller. that being said i would like to share my experiences and hopefully learn a great deal about others as well.

heres my setup =

20gal amazon biotope-ish aquarium featuring 6 serpae tetras, 8 black skirts, 6 green corys and 3 silver hatchets. 2 inches of flourite with roughly 9-10 lbs of african root wood ( one large piece and two smaller chunks. ) some grass ( not sure which kind ) and a Sword ( radical? ) . penguinn bio wheel for 30gal aquarium and a fluval 204 set to half water flow. i use bio media and peat filtration, no carbon ( removes tannins ) currently running at 40 watts of light, roughly 2 wpg. water changes weekly of 25%. i use no chemicals in my tank, for anything. PH kept at 6.0 no ammonia or nitrite, minimal nitrate. some oak leaves strewn about the bottom and kicked around by the current. i think thats everything. - getting some of those ketapang leaves soon i hope!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

now this is my first shot at a biotope, i know i didnt get it right, but i did get the "feel" of it right. i know its a bit over crowded =( one day ill get a bigger tank. ( might refurbish my 60gal community tank )

my question is this : can i fit two Apisto Agazzi in my tank? i wouldnt mind moving my black skirts to a 10gallon if need be.

any other information would be tremendously appreciated. after scouring the web researching blackwater biotopes and water chemistry of different places in south america ( and asian blackwater ) i have come to a standstill in learning about this wonderful environment. short of taking a river boat cruise/guide tour of the river itself, im apt to learn everything about the amazon and its tributaries as any one person can, reasonably, without having to be called an expert =P

thanks again for your help and information ! =)

-Thomas

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It will be a bit crowded, but yes you could add a couple of aggies to this community tank. I wouldn't expect much success in breeding them, however.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(