• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Staying shrimpy.

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
My friend Jordan Reece was #37 in the planted aquarium competition this year, one of only two Americans. He mostly keeps schools of small tetras keeps many kinds of shrimps-Amano, cherry, candy cane, and red. I bought two Amanos-does anyone know their scientific name? I need shrimps that are good algae eaters and would appreciate recommendations. I was amazed that so far my cichlids haven't killed or eaten them. Jordan's only cichlids are Wattley discus.

I was very happy with my Siamese Algae Eaters (really from India) and
my Chinese; I was also pleased with my Siamese Flying Foxes but as the twp spp. reached 5" they've stopped being good maintenence workers and
gobble down anything I feed. They are particularly fond of black worms.
As they are eating a disproportionate amount and neglecting the algae I am considering switching to shrimps and other appropriate moluscs.
What are the best algae eating shrimps? How many do I need in my 150
densely planted community? In the 40, the 30 and the 20? As these attractive and harmless fishes (the algae eaters and Flying Foxes) become enormous will my LFS buy them or simply take them off my hands? Is there a product that will kill the algae without harming higher plants? I really liked the galge eating fishes but I've seen them 10"-12" in Phoenix
at which point they'd ruin the intended effect of my dwarf comunity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….