• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starter Apistos

KevinC

5 Year Member
I had read elsewhere these are a few of the best species to start off with. How do these rate?

Apistogramma bitaeniata, Apistogramma cacatuoides, & Apistogramma agassizii.

What are the main differences between them (if any), in terms of water parameters, behavior, special needs, etc.

Thanks.

*Edited* I am ordering a new 150 gal, 72x24x20 high tank on Friday and am starting to plan the stock list for when its up and running. I am aiming for a SA dwarf community tank. Other inhabitants will be pygmy cories, oto's (once it is well established), a huge colony of cherry shrimp (100+), and as for dithers I am leaning towards Endler's with possibly a tetra type (hatchets and/or pencils mainly, those that aren't fry eaters).

Breeding is only a priority for me as indication fish are happy and content in natural setting. Any fry that make it will just be a bonus. I have over 25 great pieces of driftwood to choose from. Some of which, I have carved out caves with .5 inch openings. It will be densely planted with chain sword and water sprite (maybe some floating also), a few java ferns and anubias attached to driftwood. That is as far as I have gone with plant selection so far. It will take time to get it up and running. I am planning on making my own stand for it and then the cycling, getting plants established, etc. so I have time to research fish/plant stocking still.

apistobob

5 Year Member
I think you would have the best success with the cacatuoides or agassizii. Both of these species are extensively tank raised which makes them more adaptable to water conditions. If you are getting tank raised strains of either of these they should do fine in water that is soft to medium hard with pH up to 7.5 or a little higher.

In my experience, most bitaeniata are wild caught and are mush more demanding of soft acid water.

Bob

Ruki

5 Year Member
After reading your description of tank I wouldn't recommend you A. cacatuoides- they have big mouths and might eat shrimps or even cories. :eek:
At your place I'd put there 3+5 A. agassizii. With them shrimps and cories are safer. :wink:

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Ruki is making a very good point about A. cacatuoides and their very large mouths!

Another great beginner apisto, with a smaller mouth too, are A. borelli. I find them to be more peaceful and forgiving (esp., it your water is not naturally very soft.) Yet, every bit as beautiful. I really like the A. borelli 'Opal' strain with their stong blue body and red face markings.

KevinC

5 Year Member
Thanks for the great replies. My idea was to let the plants and shrimp to get firmly established and then with enough plant cover and hiding places the shrimp would replace their own losses and maintain (if not still grow their numbers) and they could provide a natural food supplement to apisto's. Also letting the apisto's show natural hunting behavior.

I read about and exchanged IM's with a Bolivian ram keeper that has a colony of roughly 100 cherry shrimp with 13 bolivians in a well set up 90 gal tank and still sells 50-100 shrimp to his lfs every few months. The little guys reproduce like rabbits, as I understand it.

I was thinking of getting 25 or so cherry shrimp asap from a few different sources (to help with genetic variety) and while I build stand, cycle tank, start planting I would let the shrimp sit in their own established tank and start breeding their numbers up to what I would like, only adding shrimp once new tank is cycled and ready. Save a few bucks that way.

Anyways I am leaning towards Agassizii but looking around now at the various places I could order from my head is starting to swim with all the different varieties of CF to choose from. Most of which I have no clue what they look like (no pictures). Then I see the orange flash cacs on ApistoBobs page and am floored by their dramatic coloring. I prefer the body shape and lines of Agassizii more and am sure there are probably Agassizii CF's just as stunning but I can't find pictures of the myriad of CF's I have seen offered by online breeders. To be honest I enjoy the look of the tefe quite alot but want to start with an easier domestic strain and work up to the more difficult fish as time passes.

I guess it's ok for now tho, still lots of time to research before I am ready to purchase apistos.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Red Cherry shrimps

Hi Kevin,
I like your approach with the tank set-up, I'll be intersted to see what happens.
It was the idea I had originally. However when I "kept" the Red-cherry shrimps with the A. cacatuoides, they really hunted them down. I had a range of sizes of fish from fry to adult, and there wasn't anywhere the shrimps could hide.

Whether this is because the fish are used to being fed Asellus and Gammarus etc I don't know, but I would be very careful, as even in a densely planted tank with lots of cover.
cheers Darrel

Gillie

5 Year Member
The little guys reproduce like rabbits, as I understand it.

I want to say more like aquarium cockroaches. You will probably want to keep some shrimp in their own tank to replenish the numbers in the other. I use them as an occasional treat for my apistos, separating them by size accordingly. It's really amusing to watch the apistos try to sneak up on them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….