• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spirulina enhanced brine shrimp

Ttw

5 Year Member
Has anyone noticed any effect on fish colors with feeding spirulina enhanced brine shrimp over regular brine shrimp?

MacZ

Not really. My frozen is without spirulina, my self-hatched are fed spirulina. But all fish eat both regularly. I attributed any positive development to feeding live brine shrimp most of the time now instead of frozen. But that could actually be part of what makes the difference.

Anyhow the effect was rather a health issue, not the colours. Many fish showed an improved health, better resilience against parasites and especially bacteria.

Last edited:

Samala

I've had better luck feeding or gut loading live shrimp with Chlorella. If I could easily culture Haematococcus pluvialis, one of the best known sources for astaxanthins, that would likely be better. If it weren't so expensive I'd also try feeding shrimp the astaxanthin powder sold as a supplement. Whole different can of potential worms in doing that but could be worthwhile (or just mad scientist fun).

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
If I could easily culture Haematococcus pluvialis
Not sure about in the USA, but in the UK it is really easy to find a starter culture from bird baths etc, basically the "red dust" in any small volume of water that <"regularly dries out and re-fills">. As soon as it is wet (and re-growing) it goes green and looks just like Chlorella. I assume you could dry the cultures out on a regular basis to avoid too much contamination, because it is a poor competitor.
If it weren't so expensive I'd also try feeding shrimp the astaxanthin powder sold as a supplement.
It has just got more and more expensive. I used to like the <"red Astax crumb from TA Aquaculture in the UK,"> but they can't get it any more, because of the demand from the food industry for astaxanthin.

cheers Darrel

Samala

Fascinating! I don't think I've ever had red algae in bird baths or other containers. Most of anything that has still water around here (Florida, US) winds up with green algae and after a day or so duckweed always magically appears. And mosquito larvae..

Will have to keep an eye out for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….