• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Species ID from Youtube video I saw posted on another forum.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
I tried embedding the video at the point where it shows it, but it didn't work. Jump to 1:19 to see it.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
Thanks to both of you. I knew it was a female and I had seen some pictures of a few I thought it could be, including Ap. cf. alacrina, but didn't want to assume.

Is it likely we'll ever see these in the US trade? I'm not sure what the current export climate for the aquarium trade is like in Colombia, but I know some places down there do not allow it.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
Thanks to both of you. I knew it was a female and I had seen some pictures of a few I thought it could be, including Ap. cf. alacrina and baenschi (A. hoignei was the other I looked at I think) but didn't want to assume.

If it's A sp. alacrina, is it likely we'll ever see these in the US trade? Is it the same species as the ones referred to as 'A. sp. "Rotpunkt"? I'm not sure what the current export climate for the aquarium trade is like in Colombia, but I know some places down in SA do not allow it any more.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
Apologies for the double post. I added some info, refer to post #6. I was on mobile and couldn't remember the names.

Ade205

Anyone have any info on water parameters for this Apisto? I have two pairs on order from a Colombian exporter, they are listed as Apistogramma Alacrina Blue. Any info would be much appreciated.

Ade.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When I had them (a million years ago) they bred in the same water values as other populations of A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt): moderately soft & slightly acid water. I used straight Denver tap water (dechlorinated, of course).

Ade205

Thank you very much Mike. I'm finding getting info on this species very hard. No idea about other countries, but here in the uk this fish is very rare.

Thanks again, Ade.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It appears to be merely a color morph/population of the Rotpunkt Apisto/A. cf. alacrina (Rotpunkt). Every book on apistos printed since 1980 has a discussion about it.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
The only Apistogramma so far found in the Cano Cristales in Colombia, is Apistogramma cf. alacrina.
The video shows a female of this species.

Here is an example of how variable the black markings can be on these females.

And here is a male of the same species from the same biotope.

Hi Tom, I believe that you have migrated your website to a different hosting service since you made this post, and I think it was to pictures from a collection trip you may have made. Is there any way you can fix your links from your initial reply? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tom C

5 Year Member

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
Ah! Very cool. I wish it was in English, but I guess I can use it to put my Spanish from 17 years ago to work. Thanks Tom!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rob_Knox

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….