• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spawning A. Agassizi

Jeffrey Richard

5 Year Member
I have (at least) a trio of F1 agassizi that have grown up in a planted 70 gallon tank w/discus, corys and some Paradise fish. They have apparently been raised in the "leaf litter" ... dead Amazon Sword leaves ... on the bottom and spawning in pots I have the plants in.

I would like to relocate at least a trio into there own 20 gallon long tank in order to get a reasonable spawn from them.

Looking for setup and conditioning advice.

Thanks

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've set up a tank like this that has Wild angels and will be getting a pair of Pelvicachromis in too. Everything seems fine. Not sure on how it's helping plant growth but the Crypts seemed to like it.

tjd

5 Year Member
If the goal is purely breeding and getting the largest spawns I like to keep things simple. A bare bottom tank with just a sponge filter. For decorations I'll use mainly rocks, upside down flower pots with holes cut in the side, and sometimes fake or real driftwood.

I typically do not include plants in my dedicated breeding setups. Some plants don't like the warmer water while others don't like the soft water. If you do include live plants choose them appropriately. You probably have an idea which plants will do well from your Discus setup. I also don't use bright lights on my breeding tanks.

For Agassizii I like to condition and allow the spawn to hatch out at about 79F. After this I sometimes increase the temperature to 82F or just over if I am looking for slightly more males. While provided a high protein diet of worms and larva will provide a spawn every 10 to 14 days, I have found that ensuring atleast half the feedings are some combination of BBS, cyclops, daphnia, and a good flake improves both the quantity and the viability of the eggs and fry. I'll use the color of the spawns as a guide if the females are getting enough BBS and cyclops. Red to dark pink is usually good, as the eggs get whiter (not fungused) their viability goes down.

Jeffrey Richard

5 Year Member
Success!

I set up a 20 gallon long, Flourite Substrait, planted with crypts and java fern (on a piece of driftwood, and several small terra cotta flower pot quarters (caves). I have an Aquaclear 150 and a bag of peat hanging in the outflow. Tank is heated to about 82 degrees F. I have 2 32 watt full spectrum bulbs 12 inches above the tank.

I removed a male and 3 female A. Agassizi from a 70 gallon growout tank. Three weeks later, I have a school of 2-3 dozen fry grazing the driftwood. This after only 2 water changes!

Hope to have some pics soon

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sex in apistos is determined by the temperature of the aquarium during the first 6 weeks of their life. At 82ºF/28ºC, expect to get 75-85% males from your spawn. If you want more females, you might want to drop the temperature in the tank to around 79ºF/26ºC.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I had doubted the temperature affecting the sex ratios as has long been reported among A. agassizzi but when I immediately removed a batch of eggs from a pair of wild blue phase and hatched them in an unheated container and continued to maintain them this way I eventually had around 80 fry that yielded a nearly perfect 50/50 sex ratio. The water was only at 72 to 75dF for the first 3 months. 140ppm hardness and 7.4 pH.
No longer a doubter.
Larry W.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….