• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sodium bisulfate for lowering ph

fishgeek

i wouldnt because i dont know enough about it, i thought, and i may be welll wrong here, that sulphuric acid was not long lasting in the water coloumn so you will have more fluctuations in pH
saying that i believe i have read articles of david soares?? again i maybe wrong where he use's sulphuric acid to drop the pH to desired range
perhaps i need to learn more

share the knowledge scott

otherwise try this

andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The trick with acidifying water for apistos is to do it without increasing the electrical conductivity of the water. I'm no chemist, but wouldn't the sulfate ion increase electrical conductivity more than, say, the chloride ion if you used HCl?

fishgeek

i guess it would as sulphate is double negative charge so hydrogen ion and also one sodium ion(i think?)
so for each free hydrogen you are getting 2 other ions

i'm not a chemist either
how did it go scott?

andrew

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Conductivity would not be affected by the value of the charge on the ion, but rather the concentration of the ions in the water. The higher the concentration, the greater the conductivity. Personally, I would stay away from sulfate products. I think that in a low pH environment you run the risk of making hydrogen sulfide, which is toxic.

I am not a chemist either... I just play one for an hour a day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….