• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing A erythrura

Happyfins

I was hoping someone could talk me through identifying females. I have a photo of a female in breeding dress but nothing else to compare. I have a pair and what I hope is a female is getting some black in pelvic fins (which with my limited knowledge I take as a female sign) but also has quite sparkly gill covers and a touch of red in tail fin which I take as a pointer toward male sex. I will try to get a photo up but quality might not be up to scratch.
If someone has a photo of non breeding female I would much appreciate it.

Happyfins

hopefully good enough pics

Attachments

• 20180621_174246.jpg
    20180621_174246.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 300
  • 20180621_174248.jpg
    20180621_174248.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 299
  • 20180621_174250.jpg
    20180621_174250.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 285

Happyfins

This one shows the black in ventral fins. BTW 1st post should read ventral instead of pelvic fins

Attachments

• 20180621_174255.jpg
    20180621_174255.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 265

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Males at that size will typically have at least a faint red on the tail. Females may turn yellow when especially happy/breeding, and they might have slight black pelvic fins. I've noticed in A. erythrura the females sometimes have long pelvic fins that resemble males, so ID-ing them young is difficult.

Ttw

5 Year Member
Not all A. erythrura have red caudals. Some have a faint blue and others have colorless caudals. I have collected all three types from the wild.

Happyfins

Update: This fish is getting more red in caudal fin and has a faint reddish strip in dorsal fin. I think it will turn out to be male and I will keep updating. Unfortunately I lost its mate which was a definite male. However, it bothers me less if I can talk myself into believing I had 2 males to start off with. Psychology is a strange thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….