• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setting up my first tank, need some guidance.

madmike

My fiancé sent me an update now as I'm at work. Apparently 4 tetras are dead (two found, two missing). I hope that this is due to their natural pet store weakness and won't affect my gorgeous apistos in any way. To say the least I'm worried like mad!

madmike

On further inspections by my father in-law they died of natural causes. I am eager to get home to see it by myself.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The fish in the 2nd photo (and elsewhere) is a Pseudocrenilabris species - a haplochromine cichlid from central & southern Africa. They have a reputation for being highly aggressive for their size.

madmike

I see... That makes some sense, as it's one aggressive fish. I will trade it in at the store again, thanks.

Rod

5 Year Member
Mike....perhaps you should appreciate that kids read these forums.....???
Pseudocrenilabris are also a hard water species.....not compatible with other species from a water chemistry point of view....a. nijsseni. is an aggressive apisto as well

I believe pH change doesn't kill fish.....it's most likely a change in TDS and osmotic pressure....that may accompany a pH change that kills fish.....in wild situation pH can change significantly from morning to afternoon and back again overnight as plants absorb Co2 during the day and expel it at night
pH killing fish is an urban myth....imo

madmike

What do you mean by that first sentence? I am taking the fish back tomorrow due to the different needs, plus the fact that it's not South-American.

Rod

5 Year Member
I think the swearing is unnecessary .....;)
Old school perhaps....???

Do you have any plants in the tank?

If not add a bacterial supplement to cycle your tank....or fish will die of ammonia poisoning

madmike

I'm sorry, I did not think of that and I will keep it in mind for the future.

No, there are no plants as of now. Hopefully they will be here later today.

Reactions: Rod

madmike

The fish seems to be doing well and they're gaining color, some more than others. :) I tried some different techniques and settings on the camera today, they look better than the previous ones at least... I think I will have to order a macro lens to get decent shots. Got one to recommend for said use on a Canon EOS 450D? Not too expensive.

Paracheirodon axelrodi. Only 10 left now as they've been so generously eaten by the others... :)

IMG_1530_zps47f0a783.jpg
IMG_1521_zps69b554d7.jpg

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

IMG_1527_zpsca75fafe.jpg
IMG_1497_zps4777b556.jpg

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi "Electric Blue"

IMG_1523_zpsbeb5ce22.jpg

IMG_1458_zps6fdad08e.jpg

Apistogramma agassizii "Double Red". Now if you look at the pictures below you'll see how the color has changed. The top five pictures are from just now, the sixth from yesterday and the seventh from the day I got him. Can anyone confirm the sex of these fish? Do they look all male? The agassizii seems to be the most calm one of them all.

IMG_1478_zpsdccb0c71.jpg

IMG_1480_zps732f9e80.jpg

IMG_1541_zps6b8689c5.jpg

IMG_1543_zps60a69734.jpg

IMG_1542_zpsf7138b54.jpg

IMG_1459_zps96c19692.jpg

IMG_1457_zps804a9284.jpg

Pseudocrenilabris victoriae multicolor??? Are you able to identify it?

IMG_1499_zpsda67a1a4.jpg

Neptune's Neighborhood

5 Year Member
I'm not too confident in the nuances of sexing A. agassizii, but normally a more rounded caudal fin would be an indicator of a female. In the beginning you could see the tail being more elongated and not rounded..

Maybe someone else can chime in as to whether or not A agassizii will exhibit the false female trait on non-alpha males like A cacatuoides..

Your GBR is female though.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Is it a agassizii or cacatuoides?
The female "Double red" is A. cacatuoides. Apistogramma viejita is A. macmasteri.
Everyone should read this!
I like the Joe Gargas article as well, it is linked to here: <http://apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/ektozon-salt-to-apistogramma.13408/#post-72808>.
...in wild situation pH can change significantly from morning to afternoon and back again overnight as plants absorb Co2 during the day and expel it at night... pH killing fish is an urban myth
I largely agree with Rod, with the proviso that this is only really true in soft water.

Have a look at this post <http://apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/hard-water-to-softer-water.11442/#post-62021>

cheers Darrel

madmike

I see that now, thanks for the ID. I've ordered a new viejita, hongsloi and gephyra. Looking forward to identifying them too. Is there any kind of book or internet site where one can find the traits of the different apistos and what separates the sexes within the different species? I am eager to learn. I did find http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?PageId=116]this[/url] by Mike Wise that helped me a lot. Are there any other means available?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've ordered a new viejita
It will still be A. macmasteri, A. viejita probably isn't present in captivity at all at the present.

Have a look at this thread: <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/are-these-viejita.14571/#post-76386>

by Mike Wise that helped me a lot. Are there any other means available?
A DESCRIPTION OF APISTOGRAMMA SPECIES-GROUPS: <http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?PageId=116>
No probably best to, stick with Tom C's web site, Mike's article and this forum.

cheers Darrel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….