• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Second Spawn in exactly one month!

tomcptse

5 Year Member
Exactly one month today, my pair of cacatuoides had their second spawn already! :eek:
Their first spawn yielded about 60 fish, and they are about 1cm long now, and now the pair has their second spawn already.
Is this normal for cacatuoides to spawn every month? :confused: or i'm just given their the perfect environment which lead them to spawn again??
Will post some photos later

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You are doing very well with your fish. If the fry are removed immediately, females can spawn every 10 days to 2 weeks. I don't like doing this because is wears out the females. I prefer to let my females have 2 or 3 spawns with about a month of brood care between spawns and then a rest for several months. Mine live much longer that way. I obviously am not in the hobby to produce large quantities of fish.

thegnu

5 Year Member
I had the same thing happen
a-1.jpg
[/IMG]tomcptse,
mine hatched their second spawn (a much larger spawn than the first) and when those hatched i took the female out as she was attacking her first offspring. I had already took out the male before their second spawn had hatched.
In the picture i had already sold a lot of fish, most of these were from the second spawn that were a little behind. Altogether i had 170 Cacatuoides in that 3'X1'X1' tank!

tleehm

5 Year Member
Hi Tom,

Well done, but there's some not so good news about cacs in general.

One thing you need to be aware of is there has been shocking quality with the cacs in Oz. If you've bought the pair from the LFS, there's a high possibility they're locally bred and may carry some form of deformities. Even some of the cheap Asian import can be equally bad.

Am not saying your one has - but better be safe than too late when you discover the problem after their siblings grown. Just one way to avoid the situation from getting worst (if it's not bad enough already).

A quick check with where you sourced the fish from would help.

Cheers,
Thomas.

tomcptse

5 Year Member
Hi Tom,
One thing you need to be aware of is there has been shocking quality with the cacs in Oz. If you've bought the pair from the LFS, there's a high possibility they're locally bred and may carry some form of deformities.QUOTE]

G'day Thomas
What kind of deformities are you refering to? My pair seems to be good and came from a good breeder. Also, all of their first spawns developing nicely without any sign of abnormality.:wink:
Thanks for your friendly warning anyway :)
Tom

tleehm

5 Year Member
Deformities I've seen include odd size eye, mouth warp, kink in the spine, etc.

The fish looks horrible, can't really think of any reason why people releases such fish into the market. :mad:

It's always good to know where your fish came from.

Cheers,
Thomas.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is also good to have a 'culling fish' to get rid of any defective fish from a spawn. That is why I keep Muggsy, a 14"/35 cm long electric catfish. It usually eats pellets and freeze-dried foods, but when a defective juvenile appears ... well.

thegnu

5 Year Member
Out of 170 cacatuoides fry i grew on i had 14 that didn't grow well. 12 had bent spines 1 was born with a poorly swimbladder and 1 an albino was born blind. All are still alive apart from the blind one. He died i'm sorry to say only two days ago, He lived for well over ten months and the others are over ten months old, obviously. I keep them alive through kindness but also when i sell the grown fish and the tank is empty the deformed ones keep the filters primed until i can source my next breeding stock, which ever that might be

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….