• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand Grain Size Too Large?

skoram

I recently read a comment posted by a member of this forum stating that sand may be the most important element of an apisto tank, moreso than pH or TDS, because of apistos need to sift through sand with their mouths in search of food. this caused me to wonder if the sand in one of my tanks was too large. it's a 10 gallon that currently houses a trio of juvenile erythrura and some dwarf rasboras (soon to be replaced with dwarf pencilfish).

according to the site from which i purchased the sand, the grain size is 1.5 - 2.8 mm. By comparison, the sand in my other tanks is 0.3 - 0.8 mm. could this sand grain size be potentially harmful to the apistos?

I've attached a photo of the tank for reference (please ignore the paint job and korean - i used this photo to point out that the store had sent me 2 males instead of a male and female). as mentioned earlier, the apistos are juveniles, no larger than 3 cm in length,

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 504

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've used sand-blasting sand (~1 - 2 mm in diameter) for more than 35 years (same sand actually). I've bred many different apisto species with it. Sand in apisto biotopes, however, is much finer (<0.5mm) so I think that either will work. Apistos probably prefer the finer sand (coarse silt actually) because it is easier to sift. If I were to start over, I would go with finer sand.

fart

5 Year Member
I use sand-blasting sand as well, it comes in different sizes the one I use is 0,2-0,7 mm. Here we get sand blasting-sand in stores that has supply for fixing cars.

skoram

thanks for the replies everyone. I will probably replace the sand soon with a finer grain but just wanted to know if the current grain size was potentially dangerous to my apistos. since it is not, then I can take my time a bit :D

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….