• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RO Container?

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Just an easy question that I have not been able to find an answer to. I am setting up an RO unit and would like to use a dedicated trash can to hold the water. Is there a particular plastic/rubber I should avoid?

I've been recommended anything from Rubbermaids to only use containers meant to hold food - thats alot of food!

Is a Rubbermaid ok?
Cathy

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cathy,

I’ve used knock-off “Rubbermaid†containers for my R.O./D.I. collection in the past with no ill effects. I’m currently using 3 Rubbermaid Roughneck slim fit refuse containers, 31 gallons each, that I connected together with bulkheads and PVC pipe. It took me a while to find the shape of container I was after. The slime fit shape (31.6â€Âx25â€Âx16.4†rectangle) works very well. They allowed me to get 3 containers in where I only had 2 32 gallon round trashcans before. I got the cans at Farm and Fleet (or Fleet Farm depending on your location). I would recommend rinsing the cans out with warm to hot water before you start to use them for fish water.

A few words of advice…

1) invest in an automatic shut-off system

2) place the container(s) up off the ground-you don’t get as much heat loss/cool gain from the cement
floor and you can then put a bulkhead with a ball valve in the side of the container near the bottom to
use as a spigot to fill buckets

3) use a dedicated heater to heat the collected water and possibly a submersible pump for ease of use
(depending on how many and how large the tanks are that you are using the water in)

Jeff

Rain man

5 Year Member
RO water

Jeff has some very good points, I have the same system with my RO setup
if I may add, be sure you keep a lid on your holding tanks and almost anything that is hard rubber or fiberglass will do for a container.

tx_mike

5 Year Member
RO collection?

It seems to me that for a few more dollars using a "real" water storage tank, available at most farm supply stores, would be good solution. I have a 165 gallon tank and it came w/ bulkhead & ready to plumb. It cost a little over $100. Works exceptionally well in a garage, they're available in 100, 165 & 250 gallon sizes and the 100 has a very small footprint. Add advantages are they are designed to hold potable water and the are made from an opaque plastic so you can see what the water level is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….