• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rio vaupes

hapaluku

5 Year Member
Hello.
I am looking fore spieces living in the river rio vaupes.
Can anyone give me some names, maybe some tetras or corydores.

Best regards

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Río Vaupés is the Colombian part of Brazil's Rio Uaupés. Fish found in the middle and upper Uaupés (A. elizabethae, A. (cf.) personata, A. brevis, A. sp. meinkeni, A. uaupesi and A. sp. Tiquié probably occur there, too. One unusual species is known to occur only in the Vaupés. This is A. sp. Mitú, a slender Rotpunkt-group species that is found in pools among rapids near Mitú, Colombia. As for tetras and catfish, I imagine that the distribution of Uaupés species also occur in the Vaupés, but I'm not knowledgeable about these fish.

Are you planning to collect the Vaupés? If so, let us know how it works out.

hapaluku

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike Wise.
I have 1 pair of A Elisabethea from Tjekkien, and are looking to breed them i the spring when the rain i comming ( i hope).
I was just wondering what fish they live with in natur.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
You can use the search feature on planetcatfish.com to determine which Corydoras or other catfish you might want to look for.

The Characins take more research but one of the Rummy Nose species, Cardinals, Green Neons, perhaps Hyphessobrycon "robertsi", many Copella, Pyrrhulina species and at least a few Nannostomus and Hatchetfish surely occur there. Poeciliocharx weitzmani are probably present although they are not easy fish to keep they are a beautiful and unusual Tetra species.

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I was in that area again December 2009 in the Vaupes do not live rummynose, not Hyphessobrycon "robertsi", P. simulans and no P. axelrodi. The water of the Vaupes-Uaupes is not acid enough and not black, it has no habitat for those species.
In the more northern Atabapo yes, and in blackwater tributaries of the Rio Inirida also - have a look at my website and the photos of the new Apsitogrammas form near there and the other fishes.

And Larry, the Hyphessobrycon "robersti" lives only much further south, Nanay - Peru.

Apsitogrammas everywhere, by the millions.

Best regards from a collector,

always

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

blueblue

5 Year Member
How about Apistogramma elizabethae and Ivancara Adoketa? Do you find many around in
the Uaupes region?

Hi guys,

I was in that area again December 2009 in the Vaupes do not live rummynose, not Hyphessobrycon "robertsi", P. simulans and no P. axelrodi. The water of the Vaupes-Uaupes is not acid enough and not black, it has no habitat for those species.
In the more northern Atabapo yes, and in blackwater tributaries of the Rio Inirida also - have a look at my website and the photos of the new Apsitogrammas form near there and the other fishes.

And Larry, the Hyphessobrycon "robersti" lives only much further south, Nanay - Peru.

Apsitogrammas everywhere, by the millions.

Best regards from a collector,

always

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….