• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reusing Seachem Matrix

Cookie_apisto

I got one liter of Seachem Matrix that had been used for 5 months from a saltwatee tank then I took it out then rinsed it and let it air dry. Right now I am going to setup a freshwater tank so is it possible to reuse the Seachem Matrix?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I got one liter of Seachem Matrix that had been used for 5 months from a saltwatee tank then I took it out then rinsed it and let it air dry. Right now I am going to setup a freshwater tank so is it possible to reuse the Seachem Matrix?
It is, but with a couple of provisos.

Do you have a conductivity meter? If you do you can use that to find out of there are any residual Na+ and Cl- ions, retained with in the "Matrix". You only need a very small amount of ions to raise conductivity.

If salts are still leaking from the internal pore spaces of the media you could try boiling (or microwaving or pressure cooking) it.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I dont have a conductivity meter so what can I do?
Personally I'd be happy to boil it, pour the water off and give a rinse in clean water. If you don't mind waiting you could leave it outside for a while for the rain to fall on it,

I've used Moler clay (diatomaceous earth) based <"cat litter"> a few times as a substrate and you can wash the scent out of it if you leave it outside for ~6 months. It would have much more CEC than Matrix.

cheers Darrel

Cookie_apisto

The matrix are in use now. I just rinsed them in warm water with a shower head for so many times then let them air dried.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….