• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Remineralizer For Distilled/RO Water

Noxs

Hello Everyone.... I'm a beginner in Apistogramma I wanted to set up a tank for Apistogramma Macmasteri pair for future breeding.....bt the tds of my tap water is around 300ppm and the ph stays between 7.6-8.0....i have good source of distilled water in my area...bt the tds of the water is too low around 6ppm-8ppm....so i wanted to know what would be a good remineralizer to increase the gh and kh in my water.... I was thinking about Brightwell Aquatics Remineralize bt I don't know if it will also increase the kh or is it the same as Seachem Equilibrium.

Samala

Curious to hear if others take this route. I've just blended my tap with RO/DI water (or rain water depending on time of year) to get to my target TDS.

Are you taking the powdered product approach because your tap has other undesirable components in it? (High nitrates, phosphates, etcetera?)

MacZ

Curious to hear if others take this route. I've just blended my tap with RO/DI water (or rain water depending on time of year) to get to my target TDS.

Same. I'm right now at 9 parts RO (not DI) and 1 part tap.

Noxs

Are you taking the powdered product approach because your tap has other undesirable components in it? (High nitrates, phosphates, etcetera?)
Yes....the water that comes out of my tap is well water....i should have made that clear in the original thread bt i forgot.... I don't trust my well water bcuz there are some industrial companies in my area....and I'm a little bit afraid to use my current well water

Noxs

Same. I'm right now at 9 parts RO (not DI) and 1 part tap.
There are some industrial factories in my area that's why I'm afraid to trust my well water...i wrote tap water bcuz i forgot when i was posting the thread....my bad....

MacZ

Have you considered investing the 20-50 bucks for a water analysis at a lab? Definitely worth it to do once or twice a year when on a well. Not only for the fish, but also for yourself. I wouldn't drink it or use it for anything without an analysis.

Noxs

Have you considered investing the 20-50 bucks for a water analysis at a lab? Definitely worth it to do once or twice a year when on a well. Not only for the fish, but also for yourself. I wouldn't drink it or use it for anything without an analysis.
No But Thank You For The Idea..... I'll Go To The Closest Lab I Find To Test My water...

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've just blended my tap with RO/DI water (or rain water depending on time of year) to get to my target TDS.
That is what I do as well. I have a hard tap supply (about 18 dGH & 18 dKH) and approx. 650 microS. It is good quality water from a deep limestone aquifer.

If you want to go down the re-mineraliser route I would use DIY one, it is much, much cheaper in the long run.

Details are at <"James' Planted Tank">.

cheers Darrel

Samala

Great resource there from Darrel!

The Seachem product will work but it is expensive in long term. In aquaculture projects we generally remineralized similar to the method shown in that link.

I often forget how lucky I am to have high quality water, even if it is high TDS from limestone aquifer. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.. saltwater intrusion in Florida surely isn't helping our freshwater.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
In aquaculture projects we generally remineralized similar to the method shown in that link.
That is it really, an ion is an ion is an ion, they don't know where they've come from, what the product was called, or <"how much it cost">.
Great resource there from Darrel!
I refer to it a lot.

Have a look at the <"UKAPS: IFC Aquarium Fertilizer Calculator">. It builds on James's work (and the <"Rotala Butterfly Nutrient Calculator">) and it is incredibly comprehensive.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….