• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red coloring in fins of female caucatoides?

JCoxRocks

Has anyone ever seen a female with red coloration in the fins of any female caucatoides? I ordered two pair, and I'm pretty sure I received 3 males and a female. I've looked everywhere and I can't find anyone that has ever seen a female with red in her fins. I've contacted seller who at first just said "that female is just colorful" although he hasnt seen the photos yet. But I'm near positive its 3 males and a female.

Thoughts, opinions?

J

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well they are my fish. I have been working on them for years and I have lots of females with lots of Red in the fins. The dead giveaway with the fish I sent him is that the females dont have dorsal lappets. I breed for this trait and have some males with lappets 1 1/2 inches long.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/apistodave/Auction Videos/?action=view&current=P1000705.mp4

This is a vid of the grow out tank with about 50 fish in it---it's taken me years to get to this point.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
125 gals I guess thats around 400 litres. I keep females seperate from males--gives me time to make sure I dont make mistakes when sorting

JCoxRocks

Dave is right... these are his apistos and he set me straight on them. He has been nothing but exceptional throughout the entire transaction and even spending time to answer my questions (which I'm sure are annoying) after the sale. Due to this and the high quality of the apistos he sent me, not only will I purchase more in the future, but I have already recommended him to friends and coworkers interested in the hobby and will continue to recommend him.

Thanks again Dave, and my apologies for the confusion. The little guys you sent are doing wonderful, eating well and coloring up more and more every week.

J

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Just to make this clear, my fish is not from Dave, in fact I never own any fish from him.

JCoxRocks

Sort of bringing this thread back to life... have some decent pictures now...

These are my 4 apistos that I received...

#1 (obvious female)
DSC_2338.jpg

#2 (obvious male)
DSC_2339.jpg

#3 (obvious male)
DSC_2340.jpg

and then the one in question, sold as a female...

#4 (female?)
DSC_2356.jpg

DSC_2366.jpg

DSC_2367.jpg

DSC_2368.jpg

DSC_2377.jpg

DSC_2379.jpg

Thoughts, opinions?

J

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your "female" (last fish) sure looks like a male to me. I have never seen a female A. cacatuoides with such long extensions on the caudal and ventral fins. Short dorsal fin extensions, however, are fairly common on males of inbred strains.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm starting to beleive--I have never seen this phenomenon, sneaker males yes--but not this. The main thing is the extensions on the caudal--short dorsal lappets could be a function of hard water.

JCoxRocks

I'm starting to beleive--I have never seen this phenomenon, sneaker males yes--but not this. The main thing is the extensions on the caudal--short dorsal lappets could be a function of hard water.

Not sure if that is the case as one of the other males has an almost 1.5 dorsal lappet. Its incredible actually. I just couldn't catch him with his dorsals up.

J

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well I twell ya what then--I'm sorry soooo----yo uremind me in about a month-I have some growing out--and I send a couple fems out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….