• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recurrent mild POPEYE

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:?

I have a female pelvicachromis who has a mild recurrent case of popeye that I cannot get rid of. It is not a bad case: only one eye and it is only really noticeable if you see her head on and can compare both eyes. I have treated with an assortment of different antibiotics. No matter what I use the condition returns within a couple weeks. I know that popeye is a manifestation of what is likely a systemic infection. I am wondering what other people do for popeye that is successful.

:?: :?: :?: :? :?: :?:

Randall

5 Year Member
Popeye

Dear Ted,

Yes, "popeye" is believed to be caused by a bacterial infection. I'm puzzled as to why your antibiotic treatments aren't proving effective in the long term. I've found three doses of a proprietary Neomycin Sulfate-Sulfa blend, available commercially, applied over five days, followed by a partial water change on the seventh, to be effective. Strict attention to water quality may also prove helpful.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I treat it... it goes away... it comes back. I am going to ramp up the water change schedule and see if that makes a difference. The tank is a 33 long, heavily planted and filtered with a powerhead driven hydro-sponge 3. It does receive CO2. Water hardness is tap (about 400 ppm TDS around here). The CO2 keeps the pH around 6.2 (but it fluxuates a bit...).

Thanks Randall.

Randall

5 Year Member
Bacterial Infections

Dear Ted,

Jack Watley preaches a slow and gradual lowering of pH over time, to disrupt bacterial life cycles. He's had much success with this approach on his Discus.

Have you a means of filtering your tap water? 400ppm TDS sounds quite high for a wild Pelvicachromis species.

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
All my other tanks are getting healthy allotments of R/O. With this pair I am sticking to the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' cliche. They spawn regularly and readily... and there seems to be a normal sex ratio in the offspring. I have tested the tap water for the hardness. The tank is very well planted and maay be lower in hardness.

How low can you go on pH? I have had some westies pretty darn low. These are Pel. sp. aff. pulcher, and I have never sent the pH way down. I may try it in conjunction with another round of antibiotics though.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….