• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommendation for a College Student

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Some of you may remember me from a few years back when I lived in Brazil. I am currently in college in Kentucky near Lexington. I set up an aquarium today with a filter and heater etc... and am interested in stocking it with an Apistogramma as it has been too long since I have had any. Once my tank cycles I want to add a single Apistogramma or possibly a pair with a few small dithers. I realize that a 10 gallon is too small for larger apistos (my college only allows 10 gallon tanks) so I am looking for small to medium ones. I honestly dont know where to start looking for apistos, I would like a captive bred or wild specimen but do not want the more popular cacautuoides, or agassizi. How do I go about ordering one and from whom? I am looking through the guys apistos for sale here on the forum. Is there a medium brightly colored, interesting apisto for 20 dollars or less you would recommend? Is it okay to order one by mail in this absolutely awful weather? The water quality is not good around here or so I have heard. Looking forward to having an Apisto again!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Hudson, welcome back! For a 10 gallon tank, I think the ideal apisto would be A. borellii; various color varieties available and relative inexpensive. An extra benefit is that they are relatively undemanding with regards to water values.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Do you have access to someone that can make tanks, or feel comfortable siliconing one yourself? One gent up here had a 10 gallon tank made for him for college, but it was the length and width of a 20 gallon long (76cm x 30cm) but was only half height.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….