• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RAM Problems

AquaAlbatros

5 Year Member
Every time an importer gets this fish in my country (Argentina), ALL the rams die in a month or two. No one wants to import rams here because of the bad previous experiences.
All the previous imports come from Asia, (funny thing having peru and brazil near..), are the rumors of heavy use of hormones in asia fisheries true ?, could this be the cause of the heavy death rate ?
The fishes look great in the importer facilities, very good color, but they died without symptoms in a week or two.
Several people with great skills in the hobby reported the same problem, several times....have we import german aquarists to keep this fish alive ? :)
Juan

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am sorry to say the Rams produced in Southeast Asia have this reputation. I do not know if it is entirely true, but you would do better with wild Rams from Colombia or Venezuela, or domestic specimens from European breeders. Please remember that the "German Ram" does not always come from Germany. The "German Ram" is a domestic form of the wild fish that was originally developed in Germany. Many sold in shops are fish bred in Asia.

fishgeek

there has been some suggestion of a viral cause , intially named ramierez virus , not seen any recent work on this theory though

andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….