• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quick stock question

J

jgavlock

Hey everyone,

I currently have my new 10 gallon setup cycling. It will be moderately/heavily planted, sand substrate, tarracota pot caves, and a piece of driftwood.

I have gotten very conflicting information so far about having dwarf cichlids in a 10g. Some say it's fine, some say it isn't so I figured I would come here and see what you guys think. Here are the ideas that I currently have for stocking:

#1:
Apistogramma cacatuoides - 1m/2f
Oto - 1x (would be added after a month or two)

#2:
German or Bolivian Rams - 1m/1f

I am not limiting myself to only these ideas and I am looking for imput on these ideas and any other interesting ones that may be out there.

Thanks in advance

JDogg

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

I currently have my new 10 gallon setup cycling. It will be moderately/heavily planted, sand substrate, tarracota pot caves, and a piece of driftwood.

I have gotten very conflicting information so far about having dwarf cichlids in a 10g. Some say it's fine, some say it isn't so I figured I would come here and see what you guys think. Here are the ideas that I currently have for stocking:

#1:
Apistogramma cacatuoides - 1m/2f
Oto - 1x (would be added after a month or two)
i see no problem with that
#2:
German or Bolivian Rams - 1m/1f
GBR=yes
Bolivians=No they are too big
I am not limiting myself to only these ideas and I am looking for imput on these ideas and any other interesting ones that may be out there.

Thanks in advance

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you have experience with dwarf cichlids, you will be able to successfully house a trio of Cockatoos in a properly aquascaped 10. Many people, however, will find that they will lose one or more fish to agression. There are many apistos that will do well in a 10, but I tend to avoid larger polygamous species in such small tanks. Species that do well as pairs instead of trios are best for these smaller tanks.

Rey82

5 Year Member
I am using one 10 gallon tank divided for two apisto njessini and a trio of apist trificiata....sorry if I spelled wrong. They are doing great with the area I gave them. I am planning to divide my 20 gallon tank so I can house two more species of apistos and two different varities of rams (Reg Ram and Bubble shapped Ram).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am using one 10 gallon tank divided for two apisto njessini and a trio of apist trificiata....sorry if I spelled wrong. They are doing great with the area I gave them. I am planning to divide my 20 gallon tank so I can house two more species of apistos and two different varities of rams (Reg Ram and Bubble shapped Ram).

Let us know how you succeed with breeding in such set-ups. I would expect some nasty fights to break out on the trifasciata side, once fry appear.

Rey82

5 Year Member
My tank setups!

I will I also had to seperate some of my pairs of kribs last night. I have three pairs of kribs which the most dominant pair did not like the other two pairs in the 30 gallon tank I put them in. I divided a 10 gallon as well to make sure that the other two pairs wouldn't kill each other off...I might get rid of at least one pair and put the other in my 55 gallon tank setup. The following are my tank setups I have at the moment.

10 gallon (divided)-1 pr apisto njsenni/1 trio apisto trisfisciata
10 gallon (divided)-1 pr krib/1 pr krib
20 gallon (divided)-1 pr reg ram/1 pr balloon ram
30 gallon-1 pr krib and 1 trio convicts (do good together-equal temperament)
1 plecostomus
55 gallon- 1 pr electric blue hap
1 pr electric yellows (small)
1 pr blood parrots (hybrid)
4 neo. brichardi (small)
1 pr five banded cichlid (small)
1 pr sunset peacock
1 pr unidentified peacock
1 marlieri
1 pr jewel cichlids (small)
2 plecostomus
55 gallon- 8 qaurter sized marble angels
1 trio curvicep cichlid
1 plecostomus

Can anyone tell me how I can even out my tanks if they are not right. I did not want the blood parrots but my partner loves them. I am planning to add a trio of bolivian rams and 1 pr of apisto borelli and apisto viejeta to my 55 gallon tank. Also planning to add to my divided 20 gallon tank 1 pr of apisto agassazi and 1 pr of apisto njsenni.

Thanks,
Roland

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carsonbd

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(