• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on Breeding Caves

MHEAD

5 Year Member
I bought some regular size breeding eggs from cichlidbreeding.com for my cacatuoides and aggies but the caves seem quite small to me. Has anyone used this size or is the jumbo sized eggs more suitable?

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've never used them but looked on their site and thought they were perfect for apisto females. Mine seem to prefer the small flowerpots with tiny entrance holes and these seem to be a perfect solution rather than messing with cutting and drilling (and breaking more than half) pots!

The only problem is I don't think shipping them to the UK would be a good idea with ceramics!!!!!

I'd be interested to hear what users have to say about them too.

five

5 Year Member
But if we were to insist making our own cave, how big a hole will it be best for the female? Will a 1cm diameter hole be great for them?

MHEAD

5 Year Member
The breeding eggs have 1/2 inch holes. I also have been using small flower pots and made an opening in the rim (with much difficulty, until I learned from this forum that one secret is to soak the pot before trying to cut it) but the opening was about 1 inch wide and 3/4 inch tall. It seems this was too large as one female cacatuoides has piled up sand around the opening so that now it is much smaller--quite interesting to see.

beleg

5 Year Member
Last week I cut a coconut along its lines in to 2 parts. The lines can easily be deepened by small saw and the forming pair is almost 2 perfect halves. Then i enlarge the round holes already on the shell using a drill only 1.5 cm wide.. The females loves this and the male cant enter.

They bred in one half this Sunday, however while they were breeding there was a power failure so i couldn't watch if the male could do his job. In her previous attempts she never left her cave, now she often comes out to check surroundings/eat and then goes back in. Perhaps she feels more secure now..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….