• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about Apistogramma and tetras..

Vic

5 Year Member
I have Ap. trifasciata and Ap. borellii in my 144 liters southamerica tank. I have now also bought 12 Hemigrammus bleheri. When and if the Apistos will get fry, will it be a problem with the tetras in the same tank, or do you think the Apistos will suceed protecting the fry from the tetras?

beleg

5 Year Member
My A. sp "steelblue" lost only a few fry to H.bentosi in a 150l tank. However rummy nose are notorious fry predators like neons so do be careful ;)

Vic

5 Year Member
Thank for your answers! Do you think they will make it even if the tetra are bigger? I saw that now. the tetras are about 3,5 cm and the apistofemales are about 2,5 cm.

Sil

5 Year Member
Do you think they will make it even if the tetra are bigger? I saw that now. the tetras are about 3,5 cm and the apistofemales are about 2,5 cm.
Hi Vic. Tetras size is not practically important as apisto females are generally small and this not make them unable to protect fry. My Taeniacara candidi female effectively protect fry from 6 cm Apistogramma macmasteri male :)
Anyway, Hemigrammus bleheri will always be smaller or larger danger for fry because of their quantity and social behaviours during hunting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….