• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

proper care for daphnia?

scott

5 Year Member
i have yet another question. i just received a starter culture of daphnia pulex today. the instructions were rather vague. could someone give me "step by step" instructions for care, maintenance, feeding and harvesting. currently they are in a 20 gallon plastic barrel in my cellar. i have lighting to go over it if necessary. please advise.

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
I've kept daphnia alive indoors but the best way I've found is with an outdoor waterbutt. Feed on dried yeast every day in the summer and a couple of times a week in the winter.
During the summer you can harvest daily, though this summer we had a lot of poor weather and they were less productive.
Even in the winter you can take the odd netfull.
A friend has a fishless pond which is loaded with daphnia. He doesn't harvest in the winter but he never feeds them either.

fishgeek

if you have suffiecent light over the culture you may be able to skip the growing green water in a seperate conatainer and make it an all in one type culture
i used an old bathtub outdoors in england (cooler weather) during summer it was prolific , i never feed , just put the old tank water through and occasionally top up with garden hose - has more minerals for algal growth

larger containers are less maintaince

scott

5 Year Member
i have a 65 watt compact flourescent not in use at the moment that i could use. i'm in RI and it only gets into the 40's in the day and teens and 20's at night and it's only gonna get colder. that's why i have them in the basement. how can i grow green water in this climate, is it possible? if not i heard that liquifry, yeast or peas can be an alternate food source.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Light, very little water movement (just enough bubbles to break the surface tension), dried green-pea soup mix (a powder) and red ramshorn snails... I have a vague idea that the snails eat the soup mix and excrete the nutrients for the algae which grows profusely and feeds the daphnia. Regardless, the system works.

scott

5 Year Member
well, ive been trying to "grow" green water for about 2 weeks now. the set up is separate from where i am keeping the daphnia which i have been feeding a few drops of liquifry daily with some success. for the green water i have a 33 gal tupperware container with 2 100 watt incandescent bulbs burning 24 hrs(i was told this is the best lighting to promote algae growth). there is cushed anarchrist, some lettuce and a bunch of snails. there is a very slowly bubbling air stone and i have also been adding a little liquifry once in a while. the water is crystal clear! When i first bean keeping fish years ago i was an expert at growing algae :lol: , i wish i could remember what i did then. does anybody have any suggestions? maybe i just have to wait longer? would a bit of green water help, the lfs has a green water tank in the basement.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I've found that a pinch of "Miracle-Gro" or "Rapid-Gro" per gallon works good when added to the greenwater tank. I read about it on a website and found it to be effective.

I haven't tried it yet, but I also read that goldfish in the greenwater tank is also effective.

Michael

scott

5 Year Member
i have heard about goldfish being used before as well. maybe i'll try both. if the ice would melt on my pond i'de have and endless supply of shubunkins

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Scott,

What I had read was 2 separate articles about 2 separate methods. I don't believe they were ment to be used together.

On the other hand, goldfish are hardy and might be tolerant of the few pinches of fert. Besides you can usually get comets 3 for $1, it might be worth a try.

Michael

aspen

5 Year Member
using regular land plant food in a fish tank means introducing nitrogen as ammonia. that is very risky. i thought you wanted to create green water. i wouldn't addd the daphnia to the green water till the ammonia has gone down to acceptable levels for living water animals, ie 0.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
I rotate Roti_Rich and yeast for my daphnia magna. Had the culture going for more than a year now. Light on 24/7, temp 70F

scott

5 Year Member
what is the proper amount of yeast to add per gallon? i am trying to grow the green water seperate from the daphnia so i don't kill them while experimenting. in the mean time i feed the daphnia liquifry. i would actually rather just feed yeast and Roti_Rich as farm41 does. it works for him. by the way what is Roti_Rich and how much of that do you feed also?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….