• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible tankmates for new tank (130 liters)

deco

If you can make a Rio Paraguay in which you Apistogramma Borelli, Apistogramma trifasciata and Laetacara dorsigera.

It could viable but I think with so many dwarf cichlids breeding would be almost impossible... As I understood from previous posts, it would be better to have only one apisto type per tank.

deco

Since your aquarium is only 88 cm long, I would suggest only 1m + 2-3f. It really depends on how much structure (hiding places + territorial boundaries) you build into the aquarium.

I want to give 3-4 caves, 4-5 pieces of wood, some leaves (about one third of the total surface?) and some tall plants on one of the short side. I dont know if this is "many" or "few"...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
That is not a highly structured aquarium. The fish can still see each other from a distance. In such tanks, most apistos will try to acquire at least a 30cm diameter breeding territory around their breeding cave.

deco

But... is it possible to create a complex structure without using artificial things?
Is better something like this one:

na.jpg

in which there are 4 different corners (supposing enough space on the back), and in which maybe 4 possible territories could be created?
(Note: consider the setup and the woods, not the "biotope", and imagine some leaves on the center instead of the grass...)
Or am i way off?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Such a tank probably will work for 2-3f and 1m. The male will claim the entire tank as his territory and the females will claim smaller breeding territories within the male's territory. In any case, place a floating piece of pipe in the aquarium. This acts as a place in which to hide if one of the fish cannot claim a territory. If this occurs, then you need to remove the fish.

deco

Ok, thank you very much for your explanations. I think I am understanding a lot more now. So much to learn... but nature is complex and this is its beauty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….