• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

plants and airstones

Ron

5 Year Member
I am setting up a 75 gallon apsito tank and I want to have it planted as well. However, my daughter loves "bubbles". In a 48x18x20 tank, how adverse would the effects be on plantlife if I had one airstone in it? Would it kill the plants slowly, or just retard their growth? Could the effects of the oxygen be counter-acted by other equipment?

jowens

5 Year Member
Ron,

It's not the oxygen that hurts the plants. The airstone, by creating surface distrurbance, allows CO2 to escape from the water. As you know, CO2 is an essential component (along with light) in photosynthesis. So a tank with excessive surface disturbance is likely to have low CO2 levels, making strong plant growth difficult.

By injecting CO2 into your water, it may be possible to counteract the effects of the airstone. The airstone would still allow a large amount of CO2 to escape, but it's possible that enough CO2 would stay in the water for photosynthesis to occur efficiently. On a smaller tank, I would say it would be difficult, but since 72 gallons of water is a significant volume, I think it's possible.

aspen

5 Year Member
as j says, an airstone will drive off co2, if you are trying to add it. but, when you are not adding co2, it will act to add it somewhat. the plants draw it out of the water column, and an airstone will tend to keep a steady amount of co2, in equilibrium with whatever is in the air. say 2- 3 ppm.

but, knowing what i know, i would not do a planted tank without co2. the plants go crazy when you add co2.

rick

Ron

5 Year Member
thanks all,
Maybe if I have the stone in the tank for a bit, the novelty of bubbles will wear off and I cna get rid of it.
Aspen, just curious, which LFS do you deal with for fish and plants?
I'm just west of you.

aspen

5 Year Member
for dwarfs etc, i go to aquarium services in mississauga. they always have some that are interesting. for discus i get them directly from breeder friends. aquarium services also has tropica plants, which i consider to be a very good line of plants. they go through their whole supply weekly, so you can always find fresh ones there. the one at yonge and steeles is also very good for plants. for tetras and other community fish, and for all of my other supplies, i go to my friend bob at aqua tropics, at dundas and keele. he is a nice guy, and very helpful.

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….