• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PH in your tank with Apistos?

Hilde

5 Year Member
I have soft water with ph of 8.4 from tank. It is 7.4 in the tank. How can adjust water or acclimate Apistos for these parameters?

I don't have them yet. I am planning on trading for some next month.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hilde, you have strange water conditions. Soft water is very, very rarely as basic (alkaline) as 8.4. If it truly is soft (<50 ppm; < 3º dKH), then the best way to acidify your water is with water filtered through sphagnum peat. Just add peat-filtered water as water changes until you have the pH that you want. The pH value depends on the species that you plan to keep.

Hilde

5 Year Member
I have planning on trade for Apistogramma cacatuoides.

I found that the water is strange because the city treats it with phosphates.

The tank water has Ph 7.4, gh 4, Kh2. I am thinking that I need a tank to adjust water in for water changes. For recently a Neon Rainbow started swimming up top after I changed the water.

Recently got a Eheim 2032 canister filter. It has three layers. Where do you think I should put peat in it, top or middle or bottom?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Sorry I've read these posts in the wrong order, Hilde have a look a the answer to the previous post, you are right about the phosphate and that is what is causing your strange readings.
cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A pH around 6.5 is all that you will require for A. cacatuoides to be very happy. They will actually live and breed in the water at its present pH 7.4.

Hilde

5 Year Member
A pH around 6.5 is all that you will require for A. cacatuoides to be very happy. They will actually live and breed in the water at its present pH 7.4.

So I don't need to make any changes with present tank, just age water for water changes to maintain steady PH?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It might not maintain a steady pH. It really depends on the bio-load and amount of water changes. Nevertheless, with regular tank maintenance it should remain slightly alkaline to slightly acidic, which is fine. I will say that productivity of A. cacatuoides is higher in slightly acidic water.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….