• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Periodic pure spirulina feedings for fry?

tjd

5 Year Member
I have some pure spirulina powder. Are there issues with adding it straight to my fry tank?

For the first month or so I feed the fry straight BBS. I slowly add flake, daphnia, and eventually bloodworms as they get larger. I was thinking about adding the spirulina once every 2-3 days while they are still too small for the other foods.

I have used the powder to enrich the BBS and to raise them to adults but this gets messy and is combersome. I would prefer adding it straight to the tank as a feeding once every couple days.

Any one have an experience or thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Tom

retro_gk

5 Year Member
I add some spirulina powder to the shrimp mix which forms a major part of the diet of the fish in my tanks. Never fed it straight to fish. If the fry will eat it, I don't see any harm in feeding small quantities to them.

tjd

5 Year Member
Part of why I am checking on this is because I have gotten conflicting information on this locally and was not convincecd one way of another.

Someone at a LFS told me that spirulina can be toxic in higher quantities and recommended feeding no more than 20%. However, he could not say if this was in a single feeding (i.e. don't make a mix that uses more then 20% spirulina) or part of their general diet (i.e. pure spirulina once out of every five feedings was ok).

On one hand I have never heard of anyone feeding straight spirulina and am not aware of any fish product that is straight spirulina. On the other I am not sure how a periodic feeding of it could be bad.

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….