• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis - suitable for 10g?

mm12463

5 Year Member
Hi -

I've been fascinated by some of the Pel. taenaitus species and I am wondering if any are suitable for a 10 gallon tank. There is a fair amount of rock structure with multiple caves. There will also be plenty of plants in the next week or so. I wouldn't mind tossing a pair in there but not sure if a 10 gallon is too small. I have a heavily planted 20 gallon but it lacks any sort of hiding spaces right now.

Thanks for the advice.

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis taeniatus

Dear mm,

There are probably a good number of highly skilled hobbyists who experience great success breeding Pelvicachromis taeniatus in 10-gallon tanks. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. The smallest tank size I'd recommend is a 20-long.

Pelvicachromis spp. have a way of digging prior to spawning, so adding a piece of wood or some kind of a cave structure, partially filled with substrate, that they can excavate is a good idea.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
mm,

It can be done, I've managed to do it with a few different taeniatus varieties (I prefer a 15g - 20g when I have one available). A lot of structure it a must. Caves, wood, plants...anything that breaks the tank up and can serve as an escape area. Vigilance is also a must. Keep a close eye out for any excessive aggression. Dithers haven't had much success for me in a small tank like that. I always just go with the pair. If it does get nasty, remove the aggressor. This gives the weaker one a chance to develope dominance (Easy to do when you're the only one in the tank:) ) Usually when you add the offender back into the tank the tables are turned and they come to a suitable arrangement.

As Randall said, they do like to dig. If you use plants, plants with well developed root systems do best. Stem plants become floating plants rather fast, and you spend a lot of time replanting arguing with the Pelvs about the fact that they aren't supposed to be floating plants.

Good Luck,
Ken

mm12463

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I'm just thinking what I would like to put in there. Most of the plants will be crypts with a foreground of Marsilea augustifolia.

I don't want to waste my time and end up with a dead fish or two because of ignorance and bad planning so I appreciate the insight. Have to love the forum for that. Learn from others experiences.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use 20H, which means you might try a 15 (same floor dimensions). A ten would be a bit small IME... I have had pairs of teaniatus be loving partners forever (lobe, moliwe), and I have had pairs decide that they want to be single-parents (nyete, bipindi). A ten would have been very small in the latter case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….