• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Mol_PMB

Being fairly new to this game, I'm interested in the difference in behaviour between my two sets of cichlid parents. The Moanda parents share the duties of looking after the babies (pictured with Dad above) but with the Dicrossus it's definitely Mum who looks after the brood and she chases Dad away if he comes too close.

gerald

5 Year Member
Bi-Parental care is the usual behavior for all the Pelvicachromis (and I think most other West African cichlids that are not mouth-brooders ??). In Dicrossus and Nannacara it's definitely the mother who stays closest to the young, and Apistogramma can go either way. From what I've seen small males and species with less distinct sexual difference seem more inclined to stay near and help lead the fry around, while larger males tend to guard the periphery but not interact much with the fry. Or maybe females are just more tolerant of small males near their fry.

Captain Jim

I agree..percentage of good caretakers is the female, but it seems the males "spell" the mom to eat and rest a little. When mom comes back, usually he is quick to leave, or will hang with her. Both are very protective.

Jason82

5 Year Member
I have a pair of "matadi" kribs and the female has been in her cave for 2 days now. Comes out every now and then for a couple of seconds, but only to chase the gardneri killifish away (dither).
Here is a video I uplodaed yesterday:
Hope to have fry soon

Jason82

5 Year Member
my fry are now about 1.5cm to 2cm long. Should I keep them in the tank with their parents? Or should I syphon them in to their own tank?

gerald

5 Year Member
At some point the parents will decide the kids should leave, and will start attacking them. This varies based on many factors, but 2 cm is getting rather big for fry to still be hanging around the parents territory. IME, young parents are often in more of a hurry to start breeding again (attacking their older fry) than older parents. Moving 2 fish (the pair) is usually easier than moving 50+ fry.

Mol_PMB

My parents ended up having a second brood while I still had the 1.5cm juveniles in the tank (my fault). Lots of chasing - juveniles wanting to eat fry, and parents attacking juveniles. I only had 4 juveniles (it's a community tank) but have now moved them to a separate tank, and the parents to another one...
;)

Jason82

5 Year Member
I've got 12 juvies in the tank with the parents. The parents are still protecting the juvies, as there is a female gardneri killifish in there as well as a dither fish. I'm considering moving the dither and keeping the rest in the tank, just for a little bit longer.

Captain Jim

Still have "Matadi" young? Would you consider trading a pair of yours for pair of mine? I have P. Tanaetus Molowie young. Trying to put together different African drarves. In seperate tanks. Also looking for A. Borelli.

Mol_PMB

My Moandas have just produced their third brood. They're in a tank of their own now, so hopefully there will be a better survival rate.

Mol_PMB

Here they are - please excuse the picture quality as the tank is very gloomy at this time of day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 403

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….