• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Pisces 56

I had a mated pair of P. subocellatus and they recently died, for reason(s) I don't know.

I am just sick about this. I could just cry. They were very friendly and not aggressive; got along very well with their tank mates three small P. pulcher and eight Congo tetras.

Does ANYONE know where I can get a pair/some P. subocellatus in the US?

Thanks in advance for any help, or even bad news.

Pisces 56

Capt. Jim, I think you outbid me on those Moliwes! But then I found a guy here in the Twin Cities that had the subocellatus and they fit the biotope I'm doing better. Gary Haas was selling them - the ones I was bidding on.

Funny you should mention the Moliwes. Was looking at them last night and I think they will do. They sound less aggressive than other Pelvicachromis. My subocellatus were so sweet and just chased a little when they were trying to breed. Not mean fish at all. I enjoyed them so much; a joy to have. Oh well.

I do think I'll go with the Moliwes.

Thank you so much for your input. It helps.

Captain Jim

Capt. Jim, I think you outbid me on those Moliwes! But then I found a guy here in the Twin Cities that had the subocellatus and they fit the biotope I'm doing better. Gary Haas was selling them - the ones I was bidding on.

Funny you should mention the Moliwes. Was looking at them last night and I think they will do. They sound less aggressive than other Pelvicachromis. My subocellatus were so sweet and just chased a little when they were trying to breed. Not mean fish at all. I enjoyed them so much; a joy to have. Oh well.

I do think I'll go with the Moliwes.

Thank you so much for your input. It helps.
Hello, Pisces,..I'll be darned..The molowie auction was Gary Haas, and they are doing fine..I would suggest you get in touch with him if you can, as he is likely to have more..he is excellent to deal with, no doubt.

Captain Jim

Hello, Pisces,..I'll be darned..The molowie auction was Gary Haas, and they are doing fine..I would suggest you get in touch with him if you can, as he is likely to have more..he is excellent to deal with, no doubt.
Pisces,..I emailed Gary Haas and asked if he had some T. Molowie left, he said he had a couple dozen. Told him someone was looking for some..he said have you e-mail him at [email protected] He said would love to sell you some..this was Wednesday the 4th

Pisces 56

Hey, Jim! Nice to see you.

Yes, I did. But not from Gary. A guy in my club has some and I got them $5/each. I like my fish small as I like to watch them grow from what they start out as up to what they finally look like. I got five and they're so small I can't tell if they're sardines or Pelvies! They are the damnedest cutest fish in the WORLD!

I did contact Gary though and was going to get some from him, but then a saw on MN Fish my club member had his. Was way better as I didn't have to pay shipping or have the fish suffer through that.

They're almost colorless, kind'a yellowish. One of the larger ones has a fin spot (!!!) and one has a twinkle of the aqua on the upper gill cover (!!!) I think I have a trio trio-ed and then two males. I tell'ya, I've two that are never apart and almost joined at the tail fin. I've had them two weeks this past Sun and I guess I can now put them in the 40g. Think I will after changing the water.

They are just precious and I love them to death!

Thanks for checking in with me.

mk

Pisces 56

Thanks, Ekona. Too rich for my blood (don't forget shipping) right now and now I have 5 Moliwe. But I appreciate the thought and you telling me about them.

Captain Jim

Pisces 56..would your friend ship his fish to Florida? I had bad luck with mine, but saw how pretty they could be before I lost mine.

Pisces 56

Well... Don't know. But you can bet I'll find out. And if it's something he's not done, there should be someone in the club that will help him get them there. I'll see what I can do.

But have you checked other places? Aquabid? They're not hard to come by.

Captain Jim

Well... Don't know. But you can bet I'll find out. And if it's something he's not done, there should be someone in the club that will help him get them there. I'll see what I can do.

But have you checked other places? Aquabid? They're not hard to come by.
There is a place out in Washington state, and I'm going to beg Tjudy again,..it has warmed up.but maybe too hot. Go ahead and see what your friend says,please. Glad you ran into proper deal!

Pisces 56

Jim, my friend said he couldn't do it as he's working 80+ week. I'm sorry. Do check Aquabid. I'm almost positive I saw some there. They're pretty common.

Pisces 56

Hey, Jim!!! I have cabbaged on to FIVE (5!!!) P. subocellatus from Ted Judy! They will be here tomorrow! I am about to die I'm so excited. I just want to tell everybody!

Captain Jim

Pisces 56..Finally got my T. Molowies! Paid high, but happy with the eight I have had a week. Not quite an inch and a quarter but one pair inseparable and colored up well. Dancing and shaking.all the time! How are you with yours?
DSCN0754.JPG

Mol_PMB

I recently acquired two P. subocellatus 'Moanda' and they seem to have settled in and coloured up nicely. These two had paired up in the shop (Pier Aquatics) while kept in a big group, so I hope they will continue to get on.

They share the tank with small shoals of two different tetra species from the Congo (Phenacogrammus interruptus and Phenacogrammus aurantiacus sp.lefini), plus a group of L397s which I soon intend to move to another tank.

I made and installed two half-coconut caves for them. I've seen them investigating both but one of them has now been claimed by an L397!

I'm currently awaiting developments.

P.S. I didn't choose their names and I hope they don't become appropriate; I like a peaceful tank!

Attachments

• Boko.jpg
    Boko.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 583
  • Haram.jpg
    Haram.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 530
  • Boko+Haram.jpg
    Boko+Haram.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 590
  • Coconut_dweller.jpg
    Coconut_dweller.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 497

Mol_PMB

I've seen a bit of chasing and flirting but they don't seem to have bred yet. I'm keeping a close eye on them, also planning a move-around of stock so that I can put the L397s somewhere else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….