• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Rod

5 Year Member
I Love Kribs....
many years ago I was spectacularly unsuccessful at keeping "taeniatus"
buying New pairs every couple of months

then I tried something different....

I kept them in 80% rainwater....voila

Success!!!

Standard Kribs are much more tolerant but all Pelvicachromis do better in very soft water
in my experience...;)

Captain Jim

MOL_PMB... Hey..good looking "kribs" Would you be interested in trading fry if mine continue to proceed? Second batch "Molowies" doing great,..maybe 4o swimmers!

Captain Jim

Well, keep me in mind,..I can get some local, but I like the prospect of keeping a "purer" blood line for tank raised fish. I also have some angelfish to trade if that is interesting. DSCN0965.JPG DSCN0227.JPG DSCN0227.JPG DSCN0208 - Copy.JPG DSCN0208 - Copy.JPG DSCN0970.JPG DSCN0965.JPG DSCN0965.JPG

Mol_PMB

Babies :)
Zillions of them!
Sorry for the terrible picture - I'll try and get a better one soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 495

Mol_PMB

If I leave these in their community tank, what is likely to happen?

This is only my second cichlid spawning and the other one was my Dicrossus which are in a very quiet under-stocked tank, so I don't have much experience of what happens in a community. Though I do know that even the little Dicrossus can get violent.

The tankmates of the pair of ocellated kribs are:
6 Phenacogrammus interruptus tetras
6 P.aurantiacus 'lefini' tetras
5 Hypoptopoma sp. otos
1 Synodontis nigriventris UD cat

Thanks,
Paul

Mol_PMB

So, tonight there is no sign of the zillion babies. Mum and Dad are frantically searching all areas of the tank for them. The tetras and otos are shrugging their shoulders and saying 'not me, guv!'.
Actually, I'm relieved. I have too many other babies at the moment to deal with these too. But if/when I do want to raise them, I'd welcome any advice :)

Captain Jim

Is that the Moandas kribs spawning for you? My Molowies are ready to find new homes and parents bright again..Still I would want Moandas!

Mol_PMB

Yes, they're wild-caught Moandas :)
And I have found the babies again - they haven't all been eaten - just hiding well.

Captain Jim

That is what I was hoping..Count me out ten or a dozen,..we can trade Molowies or money. Where are you, again?

Attachments

• DSCN1177.JPG
    DSCN1177.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 410

Mol_PMB

I'm in Manchester.
I guess it'll be a month or two before they're big enough to share? Hopefully there will still be some alive by then, you can be top of the list for them :)

Mol_PMB

The 12 tetras in the tank have spent all weekend in the top corner of the tank trying to keep out of the way of Boko and Haram who are now in charge of 90% of the tank. Interestingly the giant Otos are less scared of them.
I've seen Haram (mum) pick up babies in her mouth and bring them back to the brood, which is rather cute.
I'm feeding microworm and BBS though I have no idea how much is actually getting to the fry. That's working for my Dicrossus so hopefully will work for the Kribs too?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….