• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

peat moss

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have never used peat moss; only sphagnum peat - a very different substance. I don't boil my peat. Instead, I circulate water through the peat and use the blackwater in my tanks. One gets much better control of water values in this way.

Microman

5 Year Member
I have used moss peat for years, regularly running my RO water through it prior to introduction to my tanks.
Ive never bothered to boil any form of peat, no need...
Mark...

gerald

5 Year Member
Mike, Please explain how they're different and why it matters to fish keepers. I always thought "peat moss" is Sphagnum, and the product labelling just depends on whether the moss is in long fluffy strands or ground up fine and compressed. I do understand that "peat" in the soil-science sense refers to the mucky brown topsoil that forms from any partially-decomposed plant matter (not just sphagnum) in saturated/anaerobic soil.

I have never used peat moss; only sphagnum peat - a very different substance.

Microman

5 Year Member
You are right Gerald... In the UK we have Sedge Peat and Sphagnum Peat moss, Aquarists tend to use the latter.

Sphagnum moss is the moss that lies on top of peat bogs, its not actually peat.
Mark...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Long fiber sphagnum moss is the precursor to sphagnum peat. In order to become peat is has to decompose a bit. I use the long fiber stuff in aquariums as substrate for egg scatterers and to fill caves for cave spawning species (try it... the fish love it). THe long fiber stuff does not acidify the water as well as peat does.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I use the standard garden peat which looks like brown fibrous dirt to lower the pH and create black water when required.

I use sphagnum moss in the same way I would use java moss. It sinks and looks like a bunch of dead twigs and leaves in miniature. It is great stuff for breeding tetra's or rasbora's. The water goes more yellow than brown but sphagnum moss seems to be great stuff for growing micro organism's to feed tiny fry. The sphagnum works really well in an apisto breeding tank also. Like most of the others I don't boil either of them before use.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
As a killi keeper I always assumed boiling the peat helped saturate it so it doesnt float all over he place when put in containers for the fish to spawn in.
I think you've got it and that is almost certainly is where "you need to boil it" came from originally.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….