• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Paucisquamis question...

DH247

5 Year Member
Well... I finally have the opportunity to set up a tank and find some apistos again. I managed to come across hat was sold to me as paucisquamis. I picked up 6 as they are young still with only 1 starting to show more adult features and colouring.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is that all the reference materials I have checked indicate only one lateral spot, while all my fish show a smaller secondary spot in front of the larger lateral spot. I was wondering if this is not uncommon given the elizabethae complex to which these fish belong. I will post pics as soon as I get decent ones! Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A smaller (and fainter) spot on Bar 2 is not entirely unusual on many agassizii-lineage species - like A. paucisqamis. It would be hard to ID the fish without seeing photos of them.

DH247

5 Year Member
Here are two of the 6 I got. Sadly camera phones and fish do not mix well... I am pretty certain they are A. Paucisquamis given the descriptions in Romer and Staeck. The double spot threw me and part of me wished I had stumbled upon some Eliza's. Thanks!
APauc1.jpg
APauc2.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….