• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parotocinclus longirostris - a cute and small catfish

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all..

Just wanted to share some pics of a cute catfish.. Parotocinclus longirostris (2-3cm)..

My Apistos are getting fry in the same tank (115cm in length)...the Parotocinclus don`t seem to disturb much...
But I have lost a few "Parotos" ..It might be due to the huuuge Apistos (4cm).. when they guard their eggs/fry..

At this moment I keep a few of them with my Apistogramma cf.ortegai "Pebas" , and also with some young specimen of Chromaphyosemion volcanum "Yoke" in another tank..

5 new pics + 4 old..

Reeeally cute fishes...!! :):):)

Attachments

• 218.JPG
    218.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 640
  • 219.JPG
    219.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 636
  • 226.JPG
    226.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 713
  • 213.JPG
    213.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 745
  • 217.JPG
    217.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 650
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 663
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 704
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    417.3 KB · Views: 699
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    506 KB · Views: 699

MickeM

5 Year Member
That sure is a cute catfish. Are they any more trouble to keep than the common Otocinclus species?

No , I actually think that the "Parotos" are easier to adapt than the common "Otos" ..(Not as many death casualties(?) )
At least when having no large fishes in the tank who can attack/ or pay attention to them.

Maybe the "Parotos" have got a more robust and "harnesk-shaped" body??.. almost like an Ancistrus sp.??? But that might also just be my visualy interpretation..??
Or maybe I have been more careful with these "Parotos" than with the common "Otos" that I have kept earlier ??

In my opinion, Parotocinclus also behave more like an Ancistrus than like an Otocinclus !!
They doesn`t seem to swim in groups or in the free water column like "Otos" often do..
(But I have only kept them in slow flowing tanks..!!)

Mol_PMB

Those are very pretty indeed! I see what you mean about the shape being more like a 'normal' pleco.

In contrast, I have a group of 'Giant Otos' which are Oto-shaped but bigger - mine are currently about 50mm. They are perfect citizens and voracious algae-eaters - the best I have ever seen.

I have not managed to identify the species - possibly a Hypoptopoma sp. or an Oxyropsis sp. They have a very pointed head compared to most of those.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423036474.969695.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423036474.969695.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 527
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423036486.368738.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423036486.368738.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 476
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423036505.477172.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423036505.477172.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 528

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Paul + all..

Thank you for your pics+info...
I used to keep some kind of Nanoptopoma a few years ago..but I never got them to reproduce..

Have you ever seen any eggs from yours ??
Or spawning behaviours?? I think they place/lay their eggs on the backside of plants ...??

What kind of Orange food do you give your Hypoptopoma/Oxyropsis?? Have you found any special diet just for them??

Carrot?? Salmon??:):):D:D or something else??

If I am correctly informed...?? One thing that differ common "Otos" from many other catfishes in the Pet Industry.. is the food they usually eat in the nature..(and in the Aquarium ?? )
They should prefer to eat bacteria and/or detritus.. rather than algea..!!?? But they might also eat some algea I guess??

/Micke

Mol_PMB

Mine are in a tank with Congo tetras and a young L24 (soon to move out).

They eat all sorts of things, not just the food intended for them:
Fresh veg: courgette, bell pepper, peas
Pellets: new era catfish, tetra prima, new era pleco, tropical grazer, Hikari, golden pearls.
Live/frozen: various worms etc. I also feed prawns and plaice to my L24 but I've not seen them on that.
When I first put them in I had terrible algae on all my plants and they demolished all of that within a few days. Quite stunning performance!

I have accidentally ended up with a blackworm culture in the substrate of this tank which none of the fish like to eat. They were originally put in as food but have multiplied!

Mol_PMB

Sorry to the OP for going off topic - we're still on catfish but this isn't a small one and I'll let you judge whether it's cute!
I am on planet catfish, in fact I have rather more cats than dwarf cichlids.
Anyway, as requested, my L24 (one of the pics with a giant Oto as well).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423212193.191729.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423212216.792058.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423212232.723473.jpg

Mol_PMB

They co-exist peacefully! The L24 is more of a carrion-eater than a predator, and the giant Otos are too small to be seen as a threat. One Oto did land on the L24 while I was watching and got shaken off pretty quickly though!

MickeM

5 Year Member
Thanks Paul..
I really like this kind of behaviour details...
That may be the difference in the decision to buying a species or not!!!

I found some old pics of another Parotocinclus..

P. maculicauda !!!

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    569 KB · Views: 499
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    576.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 498
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    628.1 KB · Views: 496

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….