• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parental Behaviour of Pelvicachromis suboccelatus

MC1979

5 Year Member
Is it common for the parents to fight over who shall care for the fry?

This is the second spawn, I believe with the first successful spawn the parents may have eaten the fry, or some cherry barbs (since removed) had their share of sushi.

After the fry had hatched, the mother protected them in her pot/cave. I noticed them with the male a few days later, and after watching noticed the male and female appeared to be "fighting" female charging the male. Two days later this was reversed, the male chasing the female, only after lights out.

I believe they are supposed to be bi-parental - does this go out the window on occasion?

Have I inadvertantly put them in too small a tank - 12G, Planted tank. If so, i'll have to re-arrange some tanks.

Thanks for any ideas.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is not uncommon for the males of Pelvicachromis to 'take over' brood care. I have had a few taeniatus pairs in which the male ejected the female from the area after the fry were free swimming.

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelcachromis brood care

Hello MC,

Pelvicachromis species are indeed bi-parental; both parents care for the free-swimming fry. Some pairs are more harmonious than others, however. If a subject pair is not completely compatible, some intraspecific quarrels are not uncommon. It would be interesting to see if larger quarters make a difference.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Lenny Llambi

5 Year Member
:cry: :cry: :cry:

my female P. subocellatus jumped the other day. My luck she discovered the sliver of space between the hood and the filter.

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
MC1979 said:
Is it common for the parents to fight over who shall care for the fry?

I believe they are supposed to be bi-parental - does this go out the window on occasion?

Have I inadvertantly put them in too small a tank - 12G, Planted tank. If so, i'll have to re-arrange some tanks.

Thanks for any ideas.
Perhaps they had their sense of duties confused more to do with length of daylight: did any one enter the room during the night and put on a mainlight for example (perhaps to eat some toast or take a glass of milk for example). In my experience, most kribs are very photo - sensitive and take weeks to adjust to even "stable" conditions (as artificially produced by timers)

Their famous parental care is indeed something to be both admired and copied. In other words both parents worry (about things like Tilapia mariae for example, Crocodiles, Bullsharks, Hippopotamaus and even elephants drinking the wee pond dry! Nevertheless, at least they try....

Nick

P.S. 12g (U.S.) is a wee bit small, try about twice that size or something quite a bit bigger if you hope to keep other cichlids in the same tank (successfully). Otherwise - they will eventually start fighting, and potentially will never stop (Hmm! sounds familiar!) :roll:

Let's put a stop to this, visit british cichlid.co.uk, where I will put the definative Kribensis (Pelmatochromis/Pelvicachromis pulcher ( "Beginners" essay together for October/November). Exams permitting.

Damn :!:

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
P. sub

Lenny Llambi said:

my female P. subocellatus jumped the other day. My luck she discovered the sliver of space between the hood and the filter.

It will be of no comfort to you at all, but at at least our male Kribs can mourn at last: His mate died nearly 4 years ago'and he has hung on ever since. I genuinely share your pain.

It took me over an hour to reply to this last sentence and I aint' soft.

Nick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….