• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Sp. 'Blue Fin'

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
Was doing my feeding rounds today and noticed the absence of my normally over friendly p. sp. 'blue fin' pair. Dont remember exactly who I got them from(my bad) but I've had them a little while now. Upon inspection of their tank I caught them in the act of spawning! I've kept this species for around 3 years now and have gone through maybe 4 pairs, this is the first pair to spawn for me and I'm totally stoked! This is an F1 pair and before I had wilds so they are probably a bit more inclined to spawn in captivity, but still its way cool. The female is 1 1/4th inch long with the male being a bit bigger. I dont think there will be many eggs, but hopefully I'll get a few good fry out of the spawn, if its successful. Wish me luck!

Photo of the pair I took a bit over a week ago.
pspbluefin.jpg

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
I'm trying and failing horribly to get photos of this spawn. Only 10-15 fry emerged from the cave a couple days ago and their doing pretty well. Since its a first spawn theres still a chance that they may not survive, but at least theres more of a chance I'll get a second spawn. Hopefully I'll have photos soon. I'm going to be taking alot of fish pics today.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi!

Congrats for this spawn!

I just isolated my pair in a tank, I hope I will be as successful as you :) . Apparently the first spawns are often little (7-15 fry) with young pairs, and can reach 40 fry or more in further spawns.

For now here are a few pics of mine :

0EFFE02C881AC9B018FF74FD6E4D1BC5_full.jpg

46C5A9EA6C3C5F86B5FACE51479EF8F1_full.jpg

FD6EC2B317C6DD48EF9E28E7D11B19B2_full.jpg

:)

westafrica

5 Year Member
Up!

@Leviathangirl : what's up with the fry? Still there? Can you please give us some details (size of the fry, guarding behavior of the parents compared to other Pelvicachromis spp. ) ?

Thanks in advance!

Here my pair seems to have spawned during my holiday, they behave like they are guarding fry but unfortunately I can't see anything because the female remains in an area where I can't see her well.

LeviathanGirl

5 Year Member
Sorry been really busy. The fry came out for a couple days and the parents watched them in typical pelvicachromis fashion, but they were very spooky and I'm assuming ate all the fry cause I cant find any at all in the tank. They've been avoiding each other since. I think their having a lovers quarrel cause they used to keep constant company with eachother, now their hiding and at different ends of the tank. I havent seen any fights thankfully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….