• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ovipositor?

Eric C.

5 Year Member
My female cacatuoides has what I can only describe as a swollen anus. It was suggested to me on another forum that it might be her ovipositor. My initial thought was that she had some kind of disease. I put a male in with her about a month ago, so I guess she could be getting ready to spawn. This would be my first spawn of any fish so I am not familiar with what an ovipositor would look like. What do you guys think? Is there any disease that would make the anus look swollen? Thanks

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Camallanus is the desease that will cause the vent to swell. The oviposter is adjacent to the vent. Generally, an infected vent will be larger and red or reddish in color, and it may look fuzzy (actually the worms sticking out). A swollen oviposter will be the same color as the under belly of the fish, and on an apisto will not look like much more than a bump. The female will also be in breeding dress if the oviposter is distended. If she is in stress or neutral colors it is probably not a reaction to spawning. IME, the oviposter on A. cacatuoides does not stay distended for more than 24 hours. Once the eggs are laid teh swelling disappears. So if you have seen in consistantly for multiple days in a row, it may not be the oviposter.

Eric C.

5 Year Member
Thank you for the replies. I will do a search for camallanus. I only noticed the swelling last night so when I get home tonight I'll see if it is still there. One more question, can this be fatal? Thanks for the help.

Eric C.

5 Year Member
I checked her out when I got home last night and the swelling is still there. It is definitely the vent and not her ovipositor. She doesn't looked stressed and is still eating well though. I don't see any worms sticking out. The male looks fine and shows no signs of anything wrong. If it is camallanus will the male become infected as well? Please help me out I don't know what I should do. A side note the female is almost 3 years old, so she may be on her last leg anyway. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….