• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Our new fish house addition.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hey Mike... I hope Tom sees this quote from Andrew.

Great, Mark, that's all we need - to grovel at his muddy feet!:D

I think we should now carry this celestial being through the jungle next year...
Oh Yes... Its brilliant ammunition this...

Not me! Drag him behind us by his feet maybe ...

As for where we'll go, well one never really knows but it will be someplace new and exciting (... and maybe a bit dangerous??).

rr16

5 Year Member
As for where we'll go, well one never really knows but it will be someplace new and exciting (... and maybe a bit dangerous??).

I'm jealous! Danger is good, although I'm not sure the wife would agree! I remember upsetting a Turkana tribesman carrying an AK47 in North Western Kenya some years ago!

Tom C

5 Year Member
... I think we should now carry this celestial being through the jungle next year...
... Not me! Drag him behind us by his feet maybe ...

My previous experiences with these two gentlemen is that they, not entirely rare, are struggling a little bit to move their own dilapidated bodies around in the jungle, so I do not think there is much to gain there to help to carry, or to drag, a divine body as well ... ;)
(Definitions of "dilapidated": "(of a building or object) ...in a state of disrepair or ruin as a result of age or neglect.")

And unlike these two at home sitting and bored "travellers", this celestial being, in only a couple of days, will leave home for it's annual 4 weeks trip to find and document exciting new Apistos and their habitats in Peru and Colombia and ... :)

rr16

5 Year Member
You'll have to see if you can find any A.nijsseni- looking A. panduro in the Tahuayo as that's where I was told my A. panduro male came from! Can't wait to see the pics if you're going to put them up.

Microman

5 Year Member
Wow that was sharp ;)... Toms use of English is becoming far too good for my liking Mike.
Enjoy yourself Tom... I hope the _ _ _ _ are shining upon you and you find something nice on your travels :)

Tom C

5 Year Member
Thank you, guys!

You'll have to see if you can find any A.nijsseni- looking A. panduro in the Tahuayo as that's where I was told my A. panduro male came from! ...
I have collected the A. panduro in the Rio Tahuayo drainage, and they don't look like A. nijsseni ;).
(I have collected the A. nijsseni too, further south, in the Jenaro Herera area, Rio Ucayali.)

This is a part of the installations at the biggest aquariumfish-exporter in Iquitos (and in Peru); The Stingray aquarium. Your fishes have most likely been kept here for some time, or in a similar place, before they were sendt to the UK.

resizeimage.aspx

Double rows of shallow open tanks with no cover on the top. As you know, fishes sometimes jump.
Probably your A. nijsseni male was lucky; when he jumped, he didn't hit the flor, but landed in another tank.
Nobody noticed a fish that looked slightly different, and he was sold as A. panduro, like all the other fishes in that tank.

I wish you good luck finding a female A. nijsseni for your male, and a male A. panduro for your female!

And to the threadstarter and -owner Andrew: Please excuse the hijacking of your thread!

rr16

5 Year Member
Apologies in advance for the hijack also! I suspected this as the case possibly, or some such mixup at a facility like this. The shop also has had A. nijsseni in there, but the picture of A. panduro on the shop's website was of (in my opinion) an A. nijsseni male, possibly even mine! So I'm guessing the mixup is as you suggest. Either way, I still have some hybrid offspring, so I guess they'll be an interesting oddity. Despite not really wanting hybrids, it's happened, so it will be interesting to see how they look when mature. I'll probably have to trade either the male or the female as I just don't have the space for another pair of Apistos. I keep trying to convince the wife but she's currently having none of it!

rr16

5 Year Member
I wish you good luck finding a female A. nijsseni for your male, and a male A. panduro for your female!

And to the threadstarter and -owner Andrew: Please excuse the hijacking of your thread!

Your luck must have paid off. Got a definite A. panduro (wild caught from Tahuayo) yesterday for 3 of our English pounds! I believe it's a male as it has no black on the ventral fins. The colouration of the dorsal is quite nice and blue at the front with a yellow bit at the back on the upper edge as opposed to the other way around in my A. nijsseni). The female is chasing him to buggery but then there are probably still some of her fry in amongst this autumn's leaf litter that I collected yesterday. She's letting him go once he gets past a certain point though which is good!

Andrew Powell

Thank you, guys!

I have collected the A. panduro in the Rio Tahuayo drainage, and they don't look like A. nijsseni ;).
(I have collected the A. nijsseni too, further south, in the Jenaro Herera area, Rio Ucayali.)

This is a part of the installations at the biggest aquariumfish-exporter in Iquitos (and in Peru); The Stingray aquarium. Your fishes have most likely been kept here for some time, or in a similar place, before they were sendt to the UK.

resizeimage.aspx

Double rows of shallow open tanks with no cover on the top. As you know, fishes sometimes jump.
Probably your A. nijsseni male was lucky; when he jumped, he didn't hit the flor, but landed in another tank.
Nobody noticed a fish that looked slightly different, and he was sold as A. panduro, like all the other fishes in that tank.

I would love to join you on your adventures collecting beautiful Apistos!!
Ray Blackburn was saying you are in the UK in November?

rr16

5 Year Member
Do Easyjet fly from Liverpool, Blackpool or Manchester to Lima? Only way I'll be making any kind of collecting anytime soon! Need to remember to buy a lottery ticket!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….