• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinion about restocking apistos

Pedro Fish mate

I lost the 1 female Macmasteri and 1 the male Agassizii the 40G breeder tank I think might be the Panda Garra that stressed them because he is chasing everyone (he was living on the tank already) so I'm taking him out this weekend. But I have no idea what happened with the male Cacatuoides on the 10G... (which I kept only one pair of Cacatuoides)

My following questions are:
should I remove the Panda Garra and purchase another female maybe keep 2 females for the Macmasteri on the 40G breeder and trade the widowed female Agassizii?

For my 10G that I lost the male Cacatuoides I would purchase another pair therfore I would have 2 females and 1 male on the 10G? Is that OK for keeping them and breeding? Thanks for any advice you can give me

Attachments

• BANDPIX_2022-06-28_224223_007.jpg
    BANDPIX_2022-06-28_224223_007.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 120

MacZ

hould I remove the Panda Garra
YES!
purchase another female maybe keep 2 females for the Macmasteri on the 40G breeder and trade the widowed female Agassizii?
Your call.
would have 2 females and 1 male on the 10G? Is that OK for keeping them and breeding?
No. The tank is too small for a trio and I would only do a pair in it if I had the option to separate them at any point.

Pedro Fish mate

YES!

Your call.

No. The tank is too small for a trio and I would only do a pair in it if I had the option to separate them at any point.
Thank you MacZ for the reply!

So my last question is could I keep a pair of the Macmasteri and 1 pair of the Cacatuoides on the 40G breeder? Only them and 14 neons
Tks

MacZ

So my last question is could I keep a pair of the Macmasteri and 1 pair of the Cacatuoides on the 40G breeder?
No. Maybe in a tank of at least 150cm length two species of dwarf cichlid MIGHT be ok together, but especially when there is a chance of them spawning (pairs)... not really advisable. The available floor real estate is not sufficiently big. I wouldn't do it. Apistos are not Malawi cichlids you can put together and mix species of.

anewbie

I would not so no so fast. If the tank is well scaped they might be ok in a 40 breeder. I've kept three breeding dwarf cichild in a 40B before and they took 3 corners and there was decent harmony but the tank was so thick with hardscape and plants you couldn't see more than 5 or 6 inches into the tank and the area chosen by the fishes were totally isolated from each other. THey all managed to get free swimming frys but of course the frys had a tough time afterwards.... so there is that consideration. Anyway I think you could get away with mac and cockatoo IF the tank is extremely well scape - this means large drift wood that divide the tank and solid plant mass growing provide coverage as well as some leaf liter.
-
Also this will come down to individual fish personality my cockatoo was lazy and not very aggressive but i could imagine a fish that is more aggressive and territorial.
-
This was my 40B
40b_dec_29_2020.jpg40b_jun_10_2021.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….