• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oak Leaves

Hassles

5 Year Member
Has anyone used Oak Leaves in thier Apisto tanks to lower PH ?

I have done a little net research into the use of Oak leaves and these apparently lower PH. As I have a large Oak tree in my back yard I have gathered up a handful and placed these into a jar of my PH neutral tap water. Il'll check the paramaters in a few days time.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello Hassles,

Yes they do and are ideal for apistos.
Soak them and use as a basae above the substrate.
Please note you should ideally use dried out oak leaves as they have released all of the " nasties " when they are dry.
cheers jk :biggrin:

aprildawn

Hello Hassles,

Yes they do and are ideal for apistos.
Soak them and use as a basae above the substrate.
Please note you should ideally use dried out oak leaves as they have released all of the " nasties " when they are dry.
cheers jk :biggrin:
I am thinking about using oak leaves when i set up my tank too. How long do they last? Is is difficult to clean the tank with them?

gerald

5 Year Member
Depends on your concept of "clean the tank". If fragments of leaf litter/mulm on your pearly white sand bothers you, then yes it's "difficult". But if you do the natural swamp theory of "aquascaping" with twigs and leaf litter all over the bottom, and if you change water without feeling compelled to vacuum out all the "dirt", then leaves are no problem. Apistos don't mind this kind of "dirt" at all -- they love it.

Is is difficult to clean the tank with them?

aprildawn

The 'natural' look doesn't bother me. I also like the look of subdued light with spots of bright light like light peeking through the trees. Just need to get my hubby going on making me a stand so that I can start my tank. The stand is not at the top of the 'honey-do' list however. :p

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just get out his tools and start messing them up. He'll get the hint!:D

My wonderful wife did this to me many decades ago. We decided to buy a wood burning fireplace insert for our fireplace. The problem? Insert and fireplace were different dimensions; we would have to rebuild the fire box. Like your loving hubby, I kind of 'blew it off' until one evening I came home from work to find no fireplace, just a pile of bricks in the middle of the living room. It quickly went to the top of the 'honey-do' list.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Lol Mike.

Gerald,
I like the look your talking about, but does it have any impact on water quality? I collected a ton of oak leaves and oak branches, plan on trying that setup.

gerald

5 Year Member
If you plan to add a lot of leaves & sticks, soak them several days in a bucket before adding to fish tank so that any fast-decaying stuff can "burn" out and not cause low O2, ammonia spike, or stinky smell. If adding just a few at a time then pre-soak is not crucial.

aprildawn

If you plan to add a lot of leaves & sticks, soak them several days in a bucket before adding to fish tank so that any fast-decaying stuff can "burn" out and not cause low O2, ammonia spike, or stinky smell. If adding just a few at a time then pre-soak is not crucial.
Sounds good to me. thanks

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
How do the leaves affect planted tanks? do you need to keep them away from rooted plants or OK to have a small build up around them?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not sure, but my guess is not as good as oak (more like maple). I suggest that when the leaves fall that you collect some, soak them overnight and test the pH. You might want to even test the sycamore balls (bet the fuzzy things disintegrate).

Joe

Is is necessary to boild oak leaves (to kill any bacteria and bugs on them) before adding them to the tank? I've always done this with mine but I read somewhere that boiling isn't needed and they can just be dumped straight into the tank. I'm confused.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally I just wet the leaves and then sterilize them by putting them in the microwave for a minute on 'high'. It's never a good idea to run a microwave oven dry.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ok, since common names are not the best way to ID anything, I was wondering if these oaks are good to use in the aquarium.
Quercus rubra - Red Oak, Quercus alba - White Oak, Quercus acrocarpa - Bur Oak

Someone mentioned that they can be poisonous to dogs.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Yes, the Americas have all the different Oak species, we've got a very reduced number in the old world. I'm not sure about the other 2, but we have Quercus rubra (Red Oak) planted a bit in the UK for forestry, and its leaves are excellent, it also grows mainly on acid soils.
Someone mentioned that they can be poisonous to dogs.
I think that Oaks and acorns are stuffed full of toxic and unpalatable compounds, because they want to deter grazing or having their fruit eaten by the "wrong" animal. It is these phenolic and tannic compounds that make them good for the aquarium in smaller amounts.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….