• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oak Leaves- to presoak or not

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning all,

I have access to oak leaves, which according to the thread a lot of members use.
May I ask you this please - do you presoak the leaves and then after a period of time introduce to the tank or what do you find helps best ?
thanks in advance for your help.
have a good day cheers jan-kurt:)

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Hi bigbird,
First of all, it's important to use only dry leaves that have fallen to the ground.
What I usually do is first washing the leaves from dirt under the tap, then soaking them for a while in a boiled water bowl until the water cools down. That way the leaves get sterilized and also processed in a way that make them sink immediately when added to the tank. Otherwise it will take them a couple of days in order to sink naturally by themselves...

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I notice you're in Australia so just wanted to make sure that the species you are referring to is a member of the Quercus genus. I didn't think they were native to Oz, but I'm sure some have been introduced seeing as we messed about with taking too many species over there!

I've only ever used the American species, Quercus rubra, and simply added the leaves to the water dry. They took an hour or so to get wet and then sink, so you may want to simply soak them until they sink and then add to the tank.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Some species of oaks do not drop their leaves in the Fall. The dead, dry leaves hang on the tree until Spring and fall off when the new buds sprout. I have a red oak in my yard that does this, so I can pick leaves off the tree this time of year that have never hit the ground at all. No danger of fertilizers or pesticides (unless the tree was sprayed) if you can collect them this way.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello All,

Thanks for your reply. Yes we do have oak in australia and one tree is just up the road from me.

I do have one further quetion though. Why must the leaves be dry or off the ground ? Am I not able to pick them and also let them dry naturally or what is the reason for this ?

cheers Jan-kurt

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Because it's important to let the tree suck all the nutrients and some toxins from the leaf leaving it naturally dry and safe for aquarium use.
If you pick the green leaves right from the tree and dry them by yourself they might release some unwanted materials into the water...

Microman

5 Year Member
I notice you're in Australia so just wanted to make sure that the species you are referring to is a member of the Quercus genus. I didn't think they were native to Oz, but I'm sure some have been introduced seeing as we messed about with taking too many species over there!

I've only ever used the American species, Quercus rubra, and simply added the leaves to the water dry. They took an hour or so to get wet and then sink, so you may want to simply soak them until they sink and then add to the tank.

Tut Tut Ed....
Coming from Nottingham, the home of Robin Hood, Sherwood Forest and the English Oak(Quercus robur) and you have only used American oak species.
Shame on you... He He

Mark...

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Tut Tut Ed....
Coming from Nottingham, the home of Robin Hood, Sherwood Forest and the English Oak(Quercus robur) and you have only used American oak species.
Shame on you... He He

Mark...

I know, but I think they'd have the hump if I went and gathered up the Major Oak's!!!! :biggrin: They still don't let you anywhere near it!
Plus I like the bigger American oak leaves and there's one at my school! The kids collected me a big bag one playtime last autumn! Free and no effort on my part!:wink:

bigbird

5 Year Member
now now, i could also join the debate and say, that the British could not subdue the Yanks, so now at home, they pillage the oak trees with slave labour. Will this never end.
Is there a difference between US and UK oak tress, besides size of leaf ? I believe our oak tree up the road is european. cheers jan-kurt:biggrin:

Microman

5 Year Member
now now, i could also join the debate and say, that the British could not subdue the Yanks, so now at home, they pillage the oak trees with slave labour. Will this never end.
Is there a difference between US and UK oak tress, besides size of leaf ? I believe our oak tree up the road is european. cheers jan-kurt:biggrin:

Quite agree... No i dont think there is much difference. I also use the American oak species as well as English oak but i do find that the larger leaves of the American species tend to break down slightly quicker as they are quite a bit thinner.
Mark...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….